oil in plug valley

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
did the fist tune up since i bought my car and there was alot of oil on my 5th and 6th cylinder plugs, but it was above the threads. where would this be coming from and is it going to hurt anything if it stays like that?

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
I had this same problem. I took out the 4 Allen head plugs, put black silicone around the threads and put them back in.

Then i got new cam cover gaskets about 15 bucks and took them crappy phillips head screws out and bought some metric bolts with lock washers and it been dry ever since.

I found that those phillips head screws dont stay tight and the cam cover gasket starts leaking, I was tighting them back up every 3 or 4 days.

If you do use bolts be very careful how tight you tighten them I broke my cam cover cause I tighten one to tight, I was lucky to have a spare set.

Oh and yeah the oil will deteriorate the rubber boot for the wires and might even cause the plug not to fire.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
thanks, ill have to do that then... btw are there chrome or other aftermarket cam covers available? i havent seen any and the paint on mine is peeling

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
Im pretty sure there is someone that makes AF cam covers, I've seen them on MKIII before online, but I dont know of anyone. you will have to research it online.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
ARZ performance makes some really nice ones! kinda pricey but worth it! i'll probably pick a set up someday.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
carfanatic89;1359552 said:
Im pretty sure there is someone that makes AF cam covers, I've seen them on MKIII before online, but I dont know of anyone. you will have to research it online.

haha, i spend at least a hour per day looking at different supra sites and stuff

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I wouldn't replace the valve cover screws with anything other than OEM screws / washers. You don't need to torque them down, thats why they used screws to prevent them from being over tightened. Also I thought the rubber washers are because the head and covers expand differently and the rubber allows the movement. Putting lock washers won't allow for any expansion.

New valve cover gaskets will probably solve the leak. Get new valve cover hardware from driftmotion for cheap if they look like they need replaced...

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, you've heard the answers already so I won't reiterate them. Just a quick tip though, make sure you clean the gasket surface of any bits of loose pieces, liquid gasket silicone goop, or anything like that before putting the new gasket down. I've seen way too many leaks caused by someone just not cleaning things up properly.