oil in exhaust manifold

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
today im installing my new boss comp series turbo from suprasport. when i took off my old turbo (sp61gt), i noticed that there was oil dripping from the stock exhaust manifold. it wasnt completely coated inside, oil was only coming from cylinders 1, 2, and 3.
just a side note... the seals in the sp61gt where leaking like crazy. there was constant smoke when the car was running. the intercooler pipes and intercooler had a lot of oil in them. i just figured that it would be burnt and there would only be oil buildup in the exhaust, not liquid.
before i go on with the install, i just want to be sure there isnt anything else wrong.
if anyones got any ideas, please let me know.
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
nothing is beyond repair. i just talked to greg from suprasport... he seems to think it has something to do with the valvetrain. good thing im building a new motor.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
good idea.... ill do it in the morning. if the compression in the first 3 cylinders differs from the last, what would that indicate?
-pete

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Compression test won't show that the valve stem seals are gone...

You wouldn't IMAGINE the mess that was left in my head from the valve stems actually falling apart to the point there was just the metal casing left...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Poodles;960730 said:
Compression test won't show that the valve stem seals are gone...

You wouldn't IMAGINE the mess that was left in my head from the valve stems actually falling apart to the point there was just the metal casing left...

i really hope thats not the case with me. the motor and head are only 3 years old... its a re manufactured engine from jasper.
i cant find my compression gage... i just moved out and i cant find anything.
damn

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You can replace the valve stem seals with the head on the engine, it's a bit of a pain though...

But as said, do the easy checks first, like the compression test...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
finally did the compression test

#1 170
#2 180
#3 0
#4 175
#5 182
#5 180

im assuming there are no more rings in #3. i dont understand why this would happen so soon. i got the remanufactured motor from jasper only a few years ago. i always change the oil on schedule. im also real anal about the oil level so i check it at least twice a day. ive got the worst luck

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
#3 - 0

OUCH!

Okay, at that point it's no longer rings, because you couldn't POSSIBLY have the things be that far gone and not know that there's a serious problem The piston sould be slapping around and all kinds of bad things.

You'd also have massive oil loss while the car is running, and huge blowby under boost, probably blowing out th front and rear main seals, since during the intake stroke the crankcase would be coming up to manifold pressure.

This would also be the case if you'd blown a hole in the top of the piston through preignition/detonation.

No. Likely what you have is a stuck valve, a valve that's shimmed too much and does not close properly, or some build-up on the valve seat so that it does not seal. Or any combination of the above.

The oil in the manifold is possibly valve stem seals.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Dan_Gyoba;979639 said:
#3 - 0

OUCH!

Okay, at that point it's no longer rings, because you couldn't POSSIBLY have the things be that far gone and not know that there's a serious problem The piston sould be slapping around and all kinds of bad things.

You'd also have massive oil loss while the car is running, and huge blowby under boost, probably blowing out th front and rear main seals, since during the intake stroke the crankcase would be coming up to manifold pressure.

This would also be the case if you'd blown a hole in the top of the piston through preignition/detonation.

No. Likely what you have is a stuck valve, a valve that's shimmed too much and does not close properly, or some build-up on the valve seat so that it does not seal. Or any combination of the above.

The oil in the manifold is possibly valve stem seals.

i hope your right. i was just worried. i dont want anything to get sucked into the exhaust and mess up my new turbo. i just need to make it a few weeks.
when i was doing the compression test on cylinder 3, it just whined instead of turning over. it was odd.
thanks
-pete

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
This is what caused my #3 cil. comp. to be a big 0 but it was a 150,000 mile motor
p979705_1.jpg

good luck

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
The company is just called Jasper. They sell remanufactured motors and trannys ready to drop in. At the time i was desperate and couldnt wait to get mine rebuilt.