Oil in exhaust, how long to burn off?

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I recently put a new headgasket on my car along with a used CT-26 that to my knowledge is not leaking oil. A friend and I fixed all noticeable leaks. As seen in many of the videos here

http://blaisebox.ath.cx/SupraVideo/flvplayer.html

a lot of oil is still being burned out of my exhaust. Now we took my IC pulling out, a good amount dripped out onto the ground. If I drive my car, oil will spill out of the muffler. When I did the oil change, I got about a quart and a half out of the actual car. My question is, how long does it take to burn this kinda oil off. I will not feel safe until it is all gone, and without an idea of time, I do not feel safe. We smell no coolant in the smoke but just don't want for instance another CT-26 Leaking oil. How long am I to expect this to all stop.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
it isn't coolant, and oil is making its way out of the tailpipe onto the ground. Unless there are other things that might be burning off in the exhaust, we can stand in the smoke and we don't have any urge to vomit, if it hits you right in the eyes it makes you tear up but not from smelling it. So what else would it be?

pmohr

Maxima.org traitor
Jun 20, 2007
Pasadena, MD
mkIIIman089 said:
Well... on the camera at least that does not look like oil to me.

It smells like burning oil, definitely doesn't have the typical coolant smell, sickly sweet to the point that you gag.

We should probably take the exhaust off and see how much has pooled up at the car and in the muffler, I'm sure there's a ton, and in the IC too. When I took off the charge piping from turbo-IC, oil sludge kind of oozed out of the piping.