Oil in exaust on a Fresh Rebuild /3rd startup video included

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
Pell City, Alabama, United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhG91RTdAYI

I guess Ill start with the problem and related facts. I have a Freshly rebuilt engine that on its first startup after it re-introduced to the engine bay, blew oil and this smoke worse than in this video(I lost almost 2 quarts in less than 5 mins).
My first thought.........Head I decided to pull it and have it re-checked. So as I'm pulling the downpipe (It's new BTW) away from the turbo and off the car I notice that the entire inside is coated with a thin coat of oil that is sticky and thick as cold molasses......and the exhaust side of the turbo (stock CT26) has the same coating.
Ok the head comes back with a good bill of health (no cracks or leaks) so now i turn my attention to the turbo (which i purchased from a fellow SM member). It leaks oil......so i go to the parts closet an pull out the turbo (also stock CT26) that came off of the car when i bought it (it had a 2 bent fins but no evidence of leakage when i dissasembled the engine) This Video is with the second mentioned turbo installed..

The Differences------ with the second turbo installed the car holds 35-38 oil psi @ idle and looses very little oil in comparison to the first turbo (1/4 quart in 15 mins vs the previous), the smoke is a little slower to start and is not as dense but still bad.

Any Ideas? I'm pissed (but collected) at the situation, Ive maxed out a credit card on the rebuild, and f#*ki*g TSRM doesn't quite cover this... :1zhelp:

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
let me answer some questions before they arise......
1) The engine is all stock parts or OEM spec aftermarket replacements.
2) It is NOT condesation! there is no exhaust system beyond the downpipe yet (like i said this presented itself on initial startup after a rebuild)
3) I am not losing coolant.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

hvyman;1748763 said:
Was there any oil in the cylinders or the exhaust manifold?

there was none in the cycinders only a very small amount on the manifold where the turbo bolts to it

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
was there still a bunch of oil in the down pipe?
i would think after a few minutes of idling all the oil would burn out of the downpipe though

do you have a vaccum/boost gauge?(not the stock gauge)
if you have a aftermarket 1...whats your vaccum at idle?

im kinda thinking you got a coolant hose hooked up to a vaccum source or maybe your ISV is leaking coolant into intake?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Out of spec rings...?

My buddy's car smoked really bad and consumed/burned a good bit of oil until he got ~150 miles on it. His car looked like the smoke screen from 'Spy Hunter'!

Unlike your setup, he is using Total Seal rings.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It may smoke for a bit depending on the build for a little bit. If the motor itself is not making the smoke and oil lose then it comes down to the turbo. And having 2 shotty turbos is not really doing any good.

You could try (well always throw and extra qt in) but throw extra oil in and let the motor warm up and go drive it. Sort of hard but not wot to 4k. Try to stay in 2-4 if manual. LEt the engine engine brake down to 2nd and go back through the gears. Pull over after a little bit to check oil and dont get carrieed away. Pull over an check the oil if needed.

Albert is a vendor on here and does rebuilds on turbos.

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
jonahs_supra;1748792 said:
was there still a bunch of oil in the down pipe?
i would think after a few minutes of idling all the oil would burn out of the downpipe though

do you have a vaccum/boost gauge?(not the stock gauge)
if you have a aftermarket 1...whats your vaccum at idle?

im kinda thinking you got a coolant hose hooked up to a vaccum source or maybe your ISV is leaking coolant into intake?

1) while I had the downpipe off i sprayed degreaser in it and let it sit for about 10 mins then sprayed it out until water was clear (that doesn't mean it all came out)
2)all i have is the stocker
3)i put every hose back where it was prior to the rebuild.---wouldn't i have lost some coolant by now though?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Doubt the isc is leaking coolant. Coolant only runs through it for colder temps so it doesnt freeze and you dont have hard cold start problems.

If your not losing coolant then your not burning it.

If your losing oil your burning it. or leaking.

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
hvyman;1748817 said:
It may smoke for a bit depending on the build for a little bit. If the motor itself is not making the smoke and oil lose then it comes down to the turbo. And having 2 shotty turbos is not really doing any good.

You could try (well always throw and extra qt in) but throw extra oil in and let the motor warm up and go drive it. Sort of hard but not wot to 4k. Try to stay in 2-4 if manual. LEt the engine engine brake down to 2nd and go back through the gears. Pull over after a little bit to check oil and dont get carrieed away. Pull over an check the oil if needed.

Albert is a vendor on here and does rebuilds on turbos.

I'll have to give that a run.. and how do i contact this Albert?

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

hvyman;1748826 said:
Doubt the isc is leaking coolant. Coolant only runs through it for colder temps so it doesnt freeze and you dont have hard cold start problems.

If your not losing coolant then your not burning it.

If your losing oil your burning it. or leaking.
No leaks just smoke........ and my anxiety

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Go to your Noticications screen and then click new message and type Albert and then just send him a message.

He also has a thread in the MISC vendors forum.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
funny thing, my delsol on my sig had the same problem, i just got done building the motor with eagle rods and pistons, garret 57 trim turbo, at first i thought the turbo was blown, but it wasnt, we took the manifold off and took the turbo off, and still smoked, so we drove on it hard to 6k, revved it to 7k just a few time but not in gear, and kept driving it for a week hard, and now it stopped smoking, again this was on my delsol on my sig not the supra, the spark plugs was wet, but now they are not, car runs better too

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
If piston to wall clearance is to small or the bore is coned it will break all the rings and cause this. Did u see any scoring on the cyl walls when the head was off?

---
- Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
What sort of rings were used, and was the block honed to the correct specs for those rings? Sometimes chrome/stainless rings can take some considerable time to seat.
*edit. Just watched your video, you definitely have something very wrong in there. Oil in exhaust will take a lot longer to start burning (like 30 secs or more). You have an oil control issue, and a big one.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Crypton2006;1749368 said:
If piston to wall clearance is to small or the bore is coned it will break all the rings and cause this. Did u see any scoring on the cyl walls when the head was off?

---

yep im with your idea.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

If they didnt torque the main bolts down and put the timing belt cover on and torque the timing belt idler on then im pretty sure they f-up your block. you need to ask them what the hell they did.

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
Crypton2006;1749368 said:

---
no scoring everything looked as it should

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

everything internal is stock or stock spec replacements

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Typhoon;1749488 said:
*edit. Just watched your video, you definitely have something very wrong in there. Oil in exhaust will take a lot longer to start burning (like 30 secs or more). You have an oil control issue, and a big one.

Tell me about it!!!

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Do a leak down if there is a problem with the motor it will show up there. Maybe he lined up all the ring gaps lol. That would be very dumb but who knows

---