oil filter relocation w/o stock oil cooler

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
my friend has a greddy oil filter relocation kit that he doesn't want. so he will give it to me. its the universal one with the m20xP1.5. I guess that is the thread pitch? the only thing is it says on option's site that is not compatable with aftermarket oil coolers. i guess that means no oil cooler? would it be terrible on the car if i didn't have an oil cooler? its got all kinds of holes for oil pressure and oil temp guages. I wonder if i can some how rig up the oil cooler.
anybody got this kit or heard anything about it?

thanks,
brad

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
there's nothing wrong with your stock oil cooler... just put the relocation kit on like you'd put on a filter and be done with it. I've got two waiting to go on both supras in the garage right now... not going to do anything with the stock oil cooler :)

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Hey all, I for one hate taking my oil filter off. Yes I do take it off everytime I change my oil but it wont come out the bottom of the engine bay. Where bouts can I order one from the US?? Any suggestions on which brand?

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
well i figured out that the greddy kit he has fits everything but nissan and toyota:(
so it looks like im gonna hafta buy a relocation kit. so if i understand correctly everyone just gets an n/a filter stud and then just screws the sandwhich adaptor onto that? what do you do with the stock oil cooler lines?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
7mSuprapower89 said:
well i figured out that the greddy kit he has fits everything but nissan and toyota:(
so it looks like im gonna hafta buy a relocation kit. so if i understand correctly everyone just gets an n/a filter stud and then just screws the sandwhich adaptor onto that? what do you do with the stock oil cooler lines?

uhm. maybe i'm totally backwards, but I bought this kit

prm-10695.jpg

as far as I can tell you simply screw part of it on where you'd put the oil filter normally, and then plug the lines in to the other part, mount it where you want it, and put the filter on!

am I missing somthing?

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i have a 91 t,and installed the same kit. i use a motorcfaft fl1a that holds about 3/4 of a quart more. i installed the new filter location w/ the mount where the passenger tow hook used to be. works great and changing the oil and filter is a breeze now.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Justin said:

prm-10695.jpg

as far as I can tell you simply screw part of it on where you'd put the oil filter normally, and then plug the lines in to the other part, mount it where you want it, and put the filter on!

am I missing somthing?

for any benefit other than easy to reach oil filters, you should remove the bracket that the GTE has for the oil filter/oil cooler lines.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
If you plan on using the N/A Oil Filter Stud You'll also need a thermostat to regulate flow to your oil cooler otherwise you'll have a hell of a time getting that oil up to temperature (maybe not in the summer but winter won't be a good time). Here's a schematic:

oil_cooling_final.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
lagged said:
for any benefit other than easy to reach oil filters, you should remove the bracket that the GTE has for the oil filter/oil cooler lines.

I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i am trying to tell you that you should remove the GTE oil filter bracket

see kamil's post for a helpful diagram.

it has been posted again and again, youve gotta search.

to put it simply, you will get more oil pressure w/o the stock GTE bracket, and with a oil t-stat regulating oil flow to your oil cooler you will be more effectively cooling your engine oil. (read: it is cooled only as needed, not based on oil PSI, as is how the stock system is set up)

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
lagged said:
to put it simply, you will get more oil pressure w/o the stock GTE bracket, and with a oil t-stat regulating oil flow to your oil cooler you will be more effectively cooling your engine oil. (read: it is cooled only as needed, not based on oil PSI, as is how the stock system is set up)

That's a good reason to run it that way, however, it doesn't provide me with a reason not to run the setup I am planning, which is using the kit I posted a picture of before. I can't imagine that would change the pressure at all, or have a single negitive side effect... although that's why I'm posting here so the people who have experience can tell em if there's a problem with that setup :)

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
His point is this Justin; Your GTE oil filter bracket has a pressure based relief valve that sends oil to the oil cooler. By relocating using your kit, the only thing you're doing is moving the oil filter to a different location. If you replace the GTE Oil Bracket with an N/A bracket, you no longer have a pressure relief valve and oil will always flow to your oil cooler. This is not good because you need your oil to warm up upon startup. Thats where the thermostat comes into play... It will open flow to the oil cooler only once oil reaches normal operating temperatures. Now you no longer have any restriction (the stock pressure relief valve is very restrictive) and your oil is cooled more efficiently due to the thermostat. Hope that helps!

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Justin said:

prm-10695.jpg

am I missing somthing?

no your not backwards, but some of us are!
iam running the same kit the same way you explained. have been for years. thats why they call it a filter relocator kit! Stock gte bracket is just fine.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Here is what I did with mine.
Old system uses just a bypass for the cooler.
This one bypasses the entire spin on filter location, exits the block at the NA block off plate location, goes to a Canton full flow filter, RX7 oil cooler, and then back into the engine via the BSP 20/AN10 fitting in the filter location. (See the center of the round raised lip where the turbo filter mount goes, or NA filters spin into place.)

So far, works great.

I have the Canton filter mounted up on the right apron where it's easy to change. (Don't even have to raise up the car, or anything more than pop the hood.)
p43132_1.jpg