Oil cooler capacity...

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Hi,

Just got this oil cooler:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=EAR-42510ERL&N=115+4294888847&autoview=sku

And was just thinking, anyone have any idea how I should calculate the new capacity? I calculated the volume of the core, then converted from cubic inches to quarts, and got 2.42 quarts. Then I need to add in the lines and whatnot correct? If this is incorrect someone just tell me. I also have an oil thermostat, but wasn't sure how to calculate the added capacity with that, since it varies depending on temperature (might not run that because the car is only driven mostly in warm weather/springtime...). The last thing I want is for the motor to even have to ASK for more oil, I want absolutely enough in there. Right now I am using ~5.5 quarts per change with filter on my 1jz (oil comes right up to the top of the "full" range). Thanks for your help.

-J

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
i run 7 qts, and i have an oil filter relocator running through a thermostat and bigger cooler, a ford v8 oil filter, and -8an lines all around. pressure at idle stays at ~25-35 psi, if im reading the stock gauge correctly