oil cooler and remote filter

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
hey guys,

I just managed to pickup an earls oil cooler with braided lines and a filter adapter. I have read of a few installs on here and most people seem to use some kind of remote thermostat.

Can someone elaborate a little for me as I want to make sure I set it up right first time.

Thanks in advance.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
sounds good, pretty much all i need to purchase is the thermostat so I will look into that now.

Ian - do you know anywhere local to get a thermostat or should I be looking in the states?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im doing a stock rebuild right now, just wondering if you guys think having the stock filter head and cooler is better than not having it at all? I know it limits max oil pressure, but i dont know how important it is that oil pressure goes above ~40psi anyways.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
CyFi6;1375773 said:
Im doing a stock rebuild right now, just wondering if you guys think having the stock filter head and cooler is better than not having it at all? I know it limits max oil pressure, but i dont know how important it is that oil pressure goes above ~40psi anyways.

If your spending the money on a proper rebuild. Get a good oiling system, I think even jdub would agree. The stock setup is a joke.Period.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CyFi6;1375773 said:

I don't understand the first question. If you don't have it at all, then you are running with out a cooler? Like many 7MGEs?

I never liked the pressure relief cooler setup. I changed it for that reason alone, and put the filter where I found convient. I put the adapter on towing eye under the passenger headlight, high enough so it isn't hanging out.

As long as you are doing it, get a newer stacked plate design, larger than OEM. As you will be sending more oil through it with a thermostat. My length and width are the same as OEM for fitment and the bracket, but the core is twice as thick.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Higher volume, not necessarly pressure. The reading on the gauge will go up when you push more volume through the same displacement.