Oil Change Surprise!

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I changed my headgasket over Christmas, and I really thought everything went well. I changed the oil during the process so there wouldn't be any coolant in the oil, and I had it all good to go for my father for him to drive while I finished college up north.

I went back up north and it was a good 3 months before I saw my car again. When I finally got back home everything was fine with the car - it was running wonderfully. I decided it was time for the oil to be changed.. and holy crap. Come to find out, almost half of what was in the pan... was coolant.

How in the world do I not have RK?

I really believe the reason that there is coolant in my oil is because I wasn't home to do the retorque. I kinda thought that things would be alright without it... it wasn't like my father was out hot rodding it...

Well I think that could be one of my biggest mistakes that I have made so far with my car.

I just gotta know, would a retorque now be able to cure me of this problem? Or is it more likely that this is something far worse...

It kills me because I just got the car to be where I really like it, and now I don't even drive it because I know I need to do something to it soon before I take my chances with running it and developing a bigger problem.

What you guys thinks?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
^^I agree. not going to make things any worse. Then check it regular as far as coolant and oil wouldn't hurt to check the compression again after you get a few more miles on it.
That is if the compression test this time comes out OK.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Skip the compression. When you pull the plugs, use a leak down tester and open the radiator cap. And check for bubles. Obviously. And the rest of the system.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I am going to look into getting my hands on a good torque wrench... I think that this can be my project for tomorrow.

Thanks for the direction... I was expecting to hear... COMING SOON TO AN ENGINE NEAR YOU: ROD KNOCK!

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Finally went through and did the retorque today... as well as a compression test.

#1 = 185psi
#2 = 160psi
#3 = 155psi
#4 = 170psi
#5 = 175psi
#6 = 180psi

Cylinder number 2 and 3 worry me a little bit, and I didn't take the time to go through and do a wet compression test...

I get the feeling that doing the retorque didn't work like I wanted it to... because I am still getting quite a bit of white smoke coming out of my exhaust.

It actually is running a lot better though.. some of the nuts didn't even crack when I was loosening them... :nono:

I have them all torqued down to 80ft. lbs. like my ARP instructions said to go to.. so I am just hoping that my white smoke will clear up after running it for a bit... it might be leftover coolant burning off, I am really not sure... and yes I did an oil change during all of this too.

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
well i just wanted to add that just encase you didn't i would flush you cooling system with water a few times and just to be sure did you smooth out the surface's real good and did you use any type of glue/silicone adhesive ...just wanted to point out the obvious. hope it all works out for you