Oil change interval?

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
I was just looking for some good advice concerning an oil change interval for my Supra.

I have roughly 75,000 miles, drive it from April to November and put about 5,000 km's on a year. Last year I changed the oil (Castrol Syntec) before I stored it for the winter. With the low amount of miles driven I wonder how many times a year or when the best times to change the oil are?

Thanks in advance.

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
No takers yet?

I'll tell you all my thoughts and maybe someone might be able to inform me better or give some better advice.

I change the oil before I put the car on blocks for the winter. I figure it's better to have fresh oil in the motor while it sits all winter long. I didn't change the oil again when I got it out for the spring because this oil is essentially new in my eyes. Now I am just contemplating...do I change the oil in the summer sometime even though I will have less than even 5k on it or just wait until the fall again before I put her away. That would be only 1 oil change per year which just doesn't seem right. :dunno:

Any thoughts please.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Technically, an oil analysis is needed to see if the oil is still good. But since (almost) nobody does that, here is the schedule.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23917

7MGE oil and filter every 12 months
7MGTE oil 5000 miles or 6 months
7MGTE filter 10,000 miles or 12 months

In your oweners manual it would state a different rate for "harsh conditions". The repair manual has defined that for us.

1. Towing a trailer, camper, or with a pickup topper
  2. Repeated short trips less than 5 miles below FREEZING
  3. Extensive idiling or low speed driving for long distances
  4. Dusty, rough, muddy, or salty roads

Except for the expected contamination from the last item, the others are due to excessive blowby created in those conditions. Boosting is not listed, as the engine is very hot, and you are in and out of load, unlike pulling a trailer, which we don't do anyway. When the engine heats up, the addititves put in at the refinery work to keep the oil clean and free of varnish and acid.

If you are doing this, the schedule changes to,
7MGE 6 months oil and fitler
7MGTE 2500 miles oil
7MGTE 5000 miles filter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That being said, the Thailand special oil filter Toyota now supplies is with is banth fodder.

Nice car in the OP avatar.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Red - since you're storing the car, I would change the oil just prior to storage with the oil of your choice...WalMart Syntech and filter is fine. Run it a few miles to get the new oil through the motor and store it. When you're ready to take it out, change the oil with a good syn oil and a Wix filter. You mentioned Castrol Syntec...the only "true" synthetic oil Castrol markets in the USA is Castrol European Formula 0W-30 (aka...German Castrol). Based on the mileage you posted, this should last you the summer.

Abe - you seriously need to read this...3000 mile change interval is just dumping good oil.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=994546&postcount=65

This too...a few years old, but most oils have just gotten better:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
Thanks for the information. I will start using this routine my next oil change. I am going to start using the GC also then. It wasn't until I started researching here a few months back that I realized any difference.

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
Jdub, I would like to ask you one more thing about oils.

I have a Mazda3 which calls for 5W20. I had switched to Castrol Syntec 5W20 the last change. Would the GC 0W30 be a better oil for this car? I have done some reading in the posts here and still don't fully understand the difference between the grp 3 and 4 synthetic oils as well as how they can market all the Syntec oils as "full synthetic" when they are not. ::dunce::

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If the motor is calling for a 20W multigrade, you should stick with that. GC 0W-30 is much thicker and will not give you the desired results. You can use a 0W or 5W-20 oil...Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent choice.

The difference between a Grp III and Grp IV oil is it's feedstock. Grp III uses mineral oil...i.e. crude oil that is extracted from the ground. Grp III base stock is heavily hydrocracked to produce molecules a close as possible to the same size...Pennzoil Platinum is the best of this group IMO. Grp IV and V are man-made base stocks consisting of chemical compounds not present in crude oil but are artificially made from other compounds. These usually consist of poly-alpha-olefin (PAO, Grp IV) and esters (Grp V) that includes diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, etc.

Like I said, Pennzoil Platinum is a great choice for a Grp III oil...if you want a "true syn", you will have to go with Amsoil ASL 5W-20 (PAO based) or Red Line 5W-20 (ester based). Of the two, Red Line would be my choice here.

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
Thanks jdub for the information and advice here. It's great to have someone on these forums with this kind of knowledge on the subject.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Dont' worry JJ, he owns a supra, so he'll be having some electrical issues sooner or later..........:biglaugh:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you keep putting up those winking smilies, peple are going to start thinking you have a sense of humor...........:rolleyes:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprahero;1030794 said:
Dont' worry JJ, he owns a supra, so he'll be having some electrical issues sooner or later..........:biglaugh:

I will point out that JJ has done extensive oil and filtration research.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes he has...JJ is one of the few people I believe what he's saying about oil without reservation. He's the guy that got me looking into all this to begin with ;)

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
I hope I didn't say anything to offend anyone here. That wasn't my intention. I just appreciated the advice from jdub on my questions.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
jdub;1034426 said:
He's the guy that got me looking into all this to begin with

And you've done well Grasshopper ;)

Red: No offense taken. It was an inside joke. See, back when I was talking this stuff nobody listened. For example I was the first to mention GC on this forum. Nobody cared back then but now it's all the rage. Go figure.

Not that what happened is unusual. Anyone knowledgeable about automotive tribology can testify how difficult it is to break down the old myths and misconceptions people have. That Jdub has manage to get through to as many as he has is quite an accomplishment and that's what really matters.