oil breather question

artmo

Mar 1, 2006
Portland, Oregon
www.myspace.com
i was woundering if i can just buy two little k&n oil breathers and put them on my valve covers and just block off my accordian hose and my intake mainifold where the stock rubber hose runs to, and not have an idle problem?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just going to puke crap all over the engine bay when they're clean then as they get oil soaked and a coat of dust they'll block up enough to stop flowing well and you risk popping a seal.......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If you mean the rich stumble when you vent the BoV to atmosphere there are a bunch of "fixes" posted here and it all depends on how big a budget you have to how you'll solve it.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
honestly, i can't tell a difference in sound at all w/ the recirc. on or off, obviously i left it on, but i was wondering one day if it would be louder, you know, i was 17... but no difference at all

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
i had a kind of similar question but it was about blocking off the charcoal canister. taking the lines off and just putting a vacuum cap on, i've been told its ok to do i may get an occasional pressure build-up in the gas tank but i wanted to ask here first......

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
89jdm7m said:
honestly, i can't tell a difference in sound at all w/ the recirc. on or off, obviously i left it on, but i was wondering one day if it would be louder, you know, i was 17... but no difference at all

Do Not Vent Stock Recirc Valve To Atmosphere. you will not be able to idle. The stock recirc valve IIRC opens and closes at idle and if it does that to atmosphere, you will be losing alot of metered air and you wont idle correctly. The reason an aftermarket bov works is because you adjust it to be closed at idle. The search feature of the forum is very benificial, ive seen tons of threads about bov's, and the big arguments over whether or not to vent. Its very trivial anyway theres better ways to clean up the pcv ( positive crankcase ventilation) system than breathers that will clog and or spurt oil do a search for pcv setup a common system is to use the na y tube system. Like i said, Use the search for more info

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ok as for the k&n they do work are they good to use hell no
reson'a

1 being there messy if you got alot of blow bye or even in genrale use
2 they can cause massie cloggin of the vavle covers
3 they cause mistor to get into you enigne cause flim of white junk

best way is to use catch can with a in line filter and not to tap inot the thottle body only the black ribbed hose

as for the canster just rip it out plug miss vac lines and then drill small hole in your gas cap in less you have vented gas cap all ready

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
xarewhyayen said:
Do Not Vent Stock Recirc Valve To Atmosphere. you will not be able to idle. The stock recirc valve IIRC opens and closes at idle and if it does that to atmosphere, you will be losing alot of metered air and you wont idle correctly. The reason an aftermarket bov works is because you adjust it to be closed at idle. The search feature of the forum is very benificial, ive seen tons of threads about bov's, and the big arguments over whether or not to vent. Its very trivial anyway theres better ways to clean up the pcv ( positive crankcase ventilation) system than breathers that will clog and or spurt oil do a search for pcv setup a common system is to use the na y tube system. Like i said, Use the search for more info
lol, that's common sense, i was just curious if it'd be louder... and idle didn't seem abnormal, but between gears it'd run a lil rich... "p pah!" < exhaust backfiring

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
89Turbo said:
clean up the engine bay......

Buy a JDM Plastic one and mount it in behind the plastic inner guard.

It serves an important function and apart from appearance you gain nothing from removing it.

89jdm: Think really dense filter.
(over simplification)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
How's about puking crap into the environment? It always amuses me how the younger generation is so quick to pollute because they're the ones who're gonna live with it the longest.

Use a catch can to clean up the PCV or fix the excessive blowby. The charcoal canister adsords evaporative hydrocarbons from the fuel tank to be later burned. If you remove it the tank needs to be vented in some way but again, you're not doing the rest of us any favors.

Plus you'll fail a smog inspection if your state has one. And if it doesn't it probably soon will. You're also violating several federal laws even if your state doesn't do emissions. Not to mention yanking emissions stuff off may screw up any future owners of your car. Whats that? You're "never" going to sell it? Lol OK, if you say so...