Oil amount

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Howdy I read on one of the supra forums that it was an OK idea to run 6 quarts of oil in a stock setup. I gave some details on why this was a good idea , something to do with the way the pickup worked if i recall. Anyways I just briefly skimmed the posts and went back to re read it and never found it again. I have run 6 quarts in my car a few times and did not really see or smell anything negative. I once put 5 quarts in my Girlfreinds car and it held 4.5 quarts and it smelled like burnt oil for a week. Anyways Any info would Be Great

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
As soon as you start any engine, the oil in the pan drops, as it is pushed into the engine. In our case, being a little over the dipstick hurts nothing.

If a manufacturer takes that drop into account, it will say so on the dipstick. Something like "do not overfill".

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jaguar_5;1031558 said:
Full on the dipstick, +1 quart :)

The nice thing about this method is it takes into account modifications to the oil system...volume increases due to a remote filter, bigger cooler, etc.

My car takes 7 1/2 quarts doing it this way.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
About the Dipstick....Is it me or does the supra have the worst dipstick in the world. The vast majority of the time when I have Attempted to check my oil I can get 3 completyl different results in a row. Were I can check the coil my girls Friends GTP and get the same thing every time. I'm waiting to pull my dipstick and have it say " Try Again Later" or "Oils future is unclear" Ala Magic 8 ball.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I have found that my dipstick always has two seperate readings when i fill my car with oil. The dipstick sits on a slight angle and the lower side always has the same reading because oil off the block rubs off 3/4 of the way to the full line. This is only an issue when filling with oil tho.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
not to be a newb but you guys are running 6 quarts of oil in the car? that seems rather excessive to me, does anyone have proof (other then notorious rod knock) that the motor sometimes does not get oil during high lateral/longitudinal loading?

oh and i actually really like the dipstick in my 92, consistent readings every time. better then any other car i have had (hondas and nissans)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I know IJ trashed a motor because of lateral G uncovering the pan pick-up.

Besides...it's free no risk insurance. There is no downside to running oil a quart high in a 7M. ;)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
See, i think toyota just anticipated all those idiots out there who go to places like Jiffy Lube who fill the engines with twice the amount it calls for :sarcasm:. I hear about this ALL the time and people blowing there engines b/c of it. Though its probably just becuase the dummy on the underside forgot to drain the engine in the first place.