oh god, please hlep... idle/ start problems

McDewbie

May 11, 2012
British columbia
ok, so ive done a HG job earlier this month and then i put it back together. when i went to start it it wouldnt catch for a while and when it finaly did it ran with an insanely high idle (2k) and would lope down (1800) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYjM9iBe1U heres a video showing the idle as well as me trying to block off the vacuum that goes to the brake booster to see if that was the problem. so i thought it was the intake gaskets as i didnt do them when i originaly did the HG job. so i took it apart again and replaced every intake gasket or gasket touching the intake, i also tested every sensor (MAF, ISC, TPS) to see if they were broken, and they werent. so after putting it back together again i started it up again... same freaking problem. now this car has been off the road now for 4 weeks between the HG job and trying to fix this idle/start problem. with no avail. I have a similar post of the supra forums but no one there has been any help, not for lack of trying, so thought I'd try my hand on this site.
Thanks in Advance, Evan
heres a video with me starting it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc10Rcw7cEY&feature=relmfu

McDewbie

May 11, 2012
British columbia
checked the routing and quality of all the vacuum lines, there all fine and in right place. and i cant exactly time it when its at 2000 rpm, especially not when its loping down and up consistently

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
My thoughts are vacuum or timing or both. If you didnt time it, did you atleast make sure to line up the notch on the distributor gear as per tsrm? in order words did you set the rotor to number 1 cylinder, with cylinder number 1 on compression?

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
jetjock;1840636 said:
Probable causes are timing, enrichment, excessive throttle bypass air, or the throttle plate itself is open. Pirate air (induction leaks) do not result in high idle on L Type EFI systems.

The 7mge doesnt have a MAP sensor.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Right. Being unmetered is why the air is called pirate. The point is idle speed will not increase because no increase in fueling results. Therefore his problem can't be related to induction leaks as has been suggested.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
jetjock;1840791 said:
Right. Being unmetered is why the air is called pirate. The point is idle speed will not increase because no increase in fueling results. Therefore his problem can't be related to induction leaks as has been suggested.

When I blew an intercooler pipe off, the car would still run, and it ran just enough to get me home. But still, idle was about 2k rpm. Reconnected the intercooler pipe and idle dropped down to factory.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
jetjock;1840791 said:

The o2 sensor will see a lean condition (provided its in closed loop) and will signal for more on-time at the injectors resulting in a high idle.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Crack me up. The sensor will bring the mixture back to stoich, same as it was before. How can the idle increase if the mixture is no richer than it was before? There is no increase in load. About all that'll happen is fuel economy will suffer.

Pull off a vacuum hose and try it. For example the brake booster hose. If the engine wants to die modulate the leak with your finger. Let us know how high you can get the idle. Good grief, this kind of stuff is EFI 101.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Isn't a large vacuum leak the same as having the throttle plate opened more? Its still going to try and keep it at 14.7:1 but its still a larger volume of air and a larger volume of fuel.

McDewbie

May 11, 2012
British columbia
i think in the video i posted the link of in my initial post showed ,e with the brake booster vacuum hose off and me holding allowing and blocking the vacuum, but if i accidentaly posted the wrong video here's the link again. and if you dont want to watch the video, the short is that nothing happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYjM9iBe1U . and backlash arent there only intercoolers on the turbo's? mine is N/A, (i dont like lag). or do you mean the the oilc cooler? i can also see this problem is annoying more people than just me, so erryone calm down and eat some flapjacks!
Thanks, Evan
PS what will happen if the engine is stuck in open loop?

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
jetjock;1840894 said:
No, it's not the same. Go back and read what I wrote. In fact go back and read what you wrote. The answers are there. Or do as I said and try it.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I just wanted to clear up ideas I had, I didn't mean to push anything.

So by what the TSRM is saying it is more than likely a fuel issue than anything.

Sorry McDewbie, I kind of changed the subject here, didn't really mean to, I'm trying to learn off of this myself lol.
Have a look at this flow chart in the TSRM for high idle. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=18