oh coolant, where ar't thou

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
i dunno if i did that little shakespeare thing right, but anyways haha. basically i changed my upper rad hose, and changed the coolant.. burped the system (with front end very high in the air via hoist.) did a leak down test and went well. now.. i fired up my car the next morning. my bird flew the koop.. got freaked out and filled overflow.. drove it. felt fine. let it sit for a coupel hours, light came on on start up but went away quickly.... went home and parked it for teh night. came back out in the morning. bird flew the koop again and once again overflowwas bone dry... now there was nothing on the ground.. no white smoke blowing. no milky on the oil cap.. WHAT THE HELL! i cant think of where the hell the coolant is going? im running about 70% water and 30% glycol...

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Have you kept track of how much h2o/gly you've added since you replaced the upper radiator hose? Did you fill the overflow completely the first time it went dry?

Also, can you feel any coolant on the downward facing vent hose from the overflow bottle or see evidence of coolant leaving through this hose? If not, it sounds like the cooling system is still trying to purge all the air out of the system.

It's normal for the system to purge the air out through the overflow bottle as the engine warms up and to suck coolant back in through that same bottle as everything cools off.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
well i swapped out allll the coolant soon after doing the hose. and so thats basically where im guestimating its sitting at for % wise.. i cant see any spraying down ( it would go onto my intercooler and be pretty noticeable) what was brought to my attention that i didnt really think of, is that it may have evaporated in that amount of time due to the high % in water. and for all i know it may me more then 70%..

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
wow.. so i geuss i was right about the just not being able to tell with that much water... its PUSHING coolant out of the overflow... theres too much pressurein teh cooling system :( BHG FOR ME! gawd dammit lol... its defiantely in the early stages... no milk on the oil cap... yet..

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
One thing you may want to check is the condition of your radiator cap. If you've recently replaced it, make sure that you got the correct type. I freaked out after doing my last HG job b/c it wasn't holding it's coolant--kept pushing it out of the overflow bottle, and I thought I had messed up the HG work somehow.

There are two distinctly different designs of the radiator cap, one that seals lower in the neck of the radiator than the other--one last *cheap* thing to try before ripping the head off would be this.

Best of luck!

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
yea ill try that.. ill order one from toyota tomorrow.. aslong as its not going to cost an arm and a leg.. should be rpetty generic though through toyota.. also going to try and hook it up to a vaccuum cooling system machine thing and hopefully suck any air bubbles out that are in there.. because its definately coming right out the overflow.. quite a lot.. upper rad hose has quite a lot of pressure on it too..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The upper hose will have a lot of pressure on it when the engine heats up and the thermostat releases. Is there any chance the radiator could be blocked up?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
its possible.. also while looking under my hood today i found out the oring for the cps is leaking.. sigh...

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Don't wait for a Toyota part...go to Autozone or NAPA or whatever and get the two styles that fit our radiators and try them both...you'd probably be able to get both caps for the price of one Toyota rad cap, and get them same day.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
oh ill find that damn bird.. the kinda good thing is that the car is goign off teh road by the end of teh week... stupid college!! so aslong as it makes it until i ge tthe beater car running right ill be happy.. then i can rip it all apart and build it :) sux i wont get to drive my car through summer... but oh well.. itll all be worth it.. rapcap will be put in tonight.. ill see how it turns out.. over night there was probably 600 ml of coolant under my car...all being pushed out of the overflow