Official Whine About Your Unreliable 7M Thread

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
GrimJack said:
I dunno, but I'm STILL putting up with it. I'm so afraid that it's going to break that I hardly ever drive it... just to and from work every day, and up to the mountains to ride the mountain bike every weekend... and evening trips... and local meets. Other than that I leave it in the driveway all the time.

You forgot driving around picking up people and taking them to get there new cars :icon_razz

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
i bought my 89 Toyota Supra knowing it had a BHG for $500, it had a few minor problems in which i already fixed, i am not too mechanically inclined so i am having a VERY good buddy mechanic change the head gasket n shit at $35/hr, the only thing is that he has never even touched a Supra before and the guide that mechanics use to estimate how long it will take told him 12.2 hours($427) no this may not seem like alot to you but i work part time at a whopping $8/hr. So it's $427 in labor + $35 head surfacing, $155 Fel Pro head gasket set(includes their very own METAL head gasket), + $93 ARP Head Studs + my passenger side window motor is broken so thats a $45 part + labor to put it in so after its all said and done its around $600 to fix it. So my Supra has been sitting in my driveway for about a month and a half now and its scheduled to go in on the 17th but the sad thing is i have to walk by it everyday when i leave the house and i cant fuckin drive it i have to walk down and get in my gaylude(87Prelude, my friends call it the gaylude aka the vacuum cleaner), i guess this isnt to much of a sob story but i hate to see that beautiful piece of ass sit in my driveway..........

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Well, umm, err, cant think of anything. Best old car I ever had. Old car being more than 10 years old. This isnt the first either.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
89Turbo i bought my 89 Toyota Supra knowing it had a BHG for $500, it had a few minor problems in which i already fixed, i am not too mechanically inclined so i am having a VERY good buddy mechanic change the head gasket n shit at $35/hr, the only thing is that he has never even touched a Supra before and the guide that mechanics use to estimate how long it will take told him 12.2 hours($427) no this may not seem like alot to you but i work part time at a whopping $8/hr. So it's $427 in labor + $35 head surfacing, $155 Fel Pro head gasket set(includes their very own METAL head gasket), + $93 ARP Head Studs + my passenger side window motor is broken so thats a $45 part + labor to put it in so after its all said and done its around $600 to fix it. So my Supra has been sitting in my driveway for about a month and a half now and its scheduled to go in on the 17th but the sad thing is i have to walk by it everyday when i leave the house and i cant fuckin drive it i have to walk down and get in my gaylude(87Prelude, my friends call it the gaylude aka the vacuum cleaner), i guess this isnt to much of a sob story but i hate to see that beautiful piece of ass sit in my driveway..........

I know what you mean. Ican't afford to do much to my engine so almost daily I see it in my garage, sitting on the stand still. The head all openned up on a table sitting it it's own filth created from countless oil leaks and a layer of carbon so thick some dynamite wouldn't be a bad idea. I swear, when things are good they're great, but when things are bad they're terrible when it comes to supras.
eric

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hey Bigdough666, looks like you might want some new rod bolts :naughty: . I have a set, come by the fs section later.
eric

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Geez, mine rules! Fast, reliable, runs errands, doesn't eat much, never yells, doesn't shit on the carpet, walks little old ladies across the street, doesn't ask to borrow money and never tries to f..ck my girlfriend!

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I bought mine with 118k and a BHG. Further investigation showed a bad(frozen) turbo and bad(stuck open) injectors.
After getting it back from the dealer(only way parents would let me borrow the cash for the BHG repair) it took a dump on a highway on-ramp. Toyota went through and replaced numorous wires, but didn't see a coolant hose that they had to remove to get to other stuff they replaced. Luckily it was their dime on a tow truck.

Since then I've put 30k on it(delivered pizza for a while because the job market here sucks), and have only had to do some minor maintenence. Battery, hoses...

Recently I've discovered a new gremlin. A strange warbling(only description I can think of that fits) when I let off after boost(when you should be hearing a pshht from the BOV), the BOV still makes a pshht, but it's accompanied by a strange sound that I'm beginning to think is something loose in the throttle body. It's being torn down this weekend(again, after replacing a ton of hoses...) for the TB to be inspected.

Overall it's a good car though. 20+mpg, generally reliable(knocking on wood here), and great fun. Just a few odds and ends that should be expected from such an old car(because age hurts more than mileage in some cases).

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
GrimJack said:
I dunno, but I'm STILL putting up with it. I'm so afraid that it's going to break that I hardly ever drive it... just to and from work every day, and up to the mountains to ride the mountain bike every weekend... and evening trips... and local meets. Other than that I leave it in the driveway all the time.

Nice. :rofl:

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know about you guys...but mine sounds awful! Its like it thinks its a freakin muscle car or something...hardly any bumble bee noises and not high pitched enough ...I don't but that just doesn't sound like power to me...

EDIT: and whats up with not having VVT-i????????

modnar

If all else fails-Kick it
Aug 28, 2005
NOR*CAL
geez... The 7M is the most reliable part of the car. Now only if everything else would work right.

modnar

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
ok here goes my horror story:
bought mine with blown headgasket, replaced the head metal headgasket arp headstuds... should be fine? nope the shop screwed up! they messed up the manifold bolts stripped them out so i had to get that fixed with like VW lug studs or some shit lol! there huge! any way it ran good after that k&n fipk, 3" exhaust stock dp, I put a manual boos controller on it to run 12.5 psi went pretty good i guess for what it was but car was still running like crap... couldnt figure it out let my buddy drive it he killed it dead! wouldnt start didnt do anything, i bring it home he buys me a new alt. i replace that the car now runs but has this nock somewere cant figure it out, now while the car is down and out i have stockpiled up a mass amount of parts just waiting to be installed and this piece of crap motor shits the bed. now i do what every normal person does try to sell it but who wants a blow engined supra or at least with rod nock so now i am rebuilding this piece again and either sell it or drive it still undetermined..2 b cont....

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
A few things bothered me for awhile - popping off IC hoses when pushing 13psi during a little race here or there will piss me off, especially when it gives me enough time to jump ahead ALOT - FAST and then POOF!...check engine light. So now the 300ZX just walks away since you simply have NO acceleration. A loose IC hose is my fault, I know. Still.. My major gripe is that the thing won't start at the worst possible times. I can get it to start, but if it's not one thing, it's another. For now, it's a grocery-getter and nothing else until the engine swap. I live 2 miles from work anyways - during even mildly congested parts of the day, I get to work faster on a bicycle. I'm not a very social person, so I don't have a need to go out all the time. I'm rather content at home, and anything else I want to do is close enough that I can bike there easily. The auto shop on base is about a mile away, too. I guess my life is pretty convenient.
I just don't want to dump any money into the 7M since I already have so much money towards JZ support parts. I feel like it would be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Saying the 7M is unreliable is like saying... well I don't even know what to compare it to but it would be lame no matter what it was.

The 7M is a VERY reliable powerplant. The problem here is most of us have 7Ms that are VERY tired and already worn out and then try to push some fun power through them without doing the regular preventative maintenance first.

I think most of us here will find that all things being equal the engine model would not matter and the problems we are facing would happen even if you had <insert whatever other engine model here>.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I bought my car with a "rebuilt" engine. Blew the headgasket 6 months later and found pacific engine company in georgia only tourqed the head down to about 40 pounds... give or take 5 lbs all around.

Aside from the owner of the company lying to me, telling me the head was torqued sufficiently, I havent had any other problems that werent my own causing. (I had to fix a few of their other blunders and mistakes along the way during the hg job.... but nothing that a gasket kit, hoses, and some patience couldnt handle.)

She is awesome now though... Made 1000 miles trips from GA to NY and back.

I <3 the 7mgte

EDIT: My sig picture is just for fun btw.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
My original motor made it to 160,000 miles on 25 pounds of boost before the rings finally started to give out. I had the car since it's 80,000 mile mark and man did I do some stupid s**t with it! The only real trouble I had was one belt broke and the lower radiator hose busted once. How did my car last so long on the original motor with a stupid driver? Because no motor how hard I drove it, I TOOK CARE OF ALL THE LITTLE CRAP!!! I was always checking it over, changing fluids, and keeping up with regular maintenance even though I drove it like I hated it for the first few years. I LOVE THIS CAR!

C

cnewingham

get a NA and the thread wouldn't exist.
that is an incoerrect statement. And also to the one who thinks Fel-Pro puts a mhg in their gasket sets you have seriously been misinformed. And I loved my 7m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
cnewingham said:
that is an incoerrect statement. And also to the one who thinks Fel-Pro puts a mhg in their gasket sets you have seriously been misinformed. And I loved my 7m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you could say that. I'm building up a turbo for next years winter project, but will do it right from the block up with all new parts. (I don't want to have to do it 3 times by cutting corners) I have a budget of 13000 for my engine next year, so expect something good. My non turbo was very reliable for an everyday driver. Now that I have a second car, the Sup. will only be driven on nice days. I love the 7m, if I didn't I woudn't own one.