Official CD009 to Mkiii group buy

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Hey everyone, I've been working hard the past month trying to come up with a better solution to the cd009(Fs6r31a) trans into the mkiii chassis. I started off researching what everyone likes and doesn't like in a kit and I came up with this idea by literally staring at one for about a week.

I decided the best route for us, was to go trans adapter vs engine adapter. In doing so, you will be able to retain the oem bell housing, use Toyota flywheel and pressure plate, slave, throwout. That as no tunnel modifications are going to be needed. Best of all t will be able to work with 7M or JZ!
I'll be making a R series and W series too

I have some local guys that will be my test guinea pigs as well as myself. This also opens the door for any chassis, so SC, s-chassis, bmw, rx7, any chassis that is a tight fit for the trans and doesn't want to massage the tunnel for the 350z bell.

The kit I'll be straight forward with new pilot bushing, hardware, etc. I would like to get a feel of how many R vs W I'd have to make.

As for the shifter setup, I have a design that will bolt on the shifter exactly where it needs to be. In a week I'll have photos of the prototype.

Some photos to keep you happy, all of this is prototypes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426023291.405597.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426023316.171187.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426023339.438481.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426023352.091045.jpg

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
My 2 cents. R series are less available and demand a premium. Most of us can find 10 cheap W series bellhousings (and trans) at the scrap yard before one sub $200 R series bellhousing elsewhere.

I'd focus mostly on the W series. Those that still have the complete R series trans/ bellhousing will sell it complete to do this swap with a w bellhousing.

BTW,
This also opens the door for 5 speed IS 300, 5 speed tacomas, early RWD celicas............

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
advantages of cd009

-cheap(as in $400 used to brand new for $1700)
-SP has made some fast passes on there 350z with upwards of +1000hp with no modification
-its a 6speed

disavantages for using it
-as of right now the 350z trans doesnt have a speedo sensor on it, the 350z uses the diff for speedo
-shifter location
-some of the earlier cd00x varients had weak syncros but this is was revised and fixed on the cd009

Very excited to see this done. as it is a very smooth transmission to drive. much like a w58 if not better.

knowing alberts work i assume he will cover the shifter location,and crossmember fitment concerns too
looks alot better than doing the colon adapter too.

my question is will it work with twin disk setups since its using a r154 clutch cover and flywheel i assume the discs can be changed to match the nissan spline but how about the throwout bearing?

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
This is awesome.

Will the centre spline of the clutch need to be changed? I ask this as i would like to keep my ORC triple plate but wondering if ill need to make up a a new centre section that holds the friction plates.

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Here's the shifter setup I am working on. Kit will be an adapter plate and a new shifter selector that will replace the oem one. Then buy off the shelf shifter housing and shifter. It's a 6speed shifter and still retains reverse lockout (down to the left)
p2043119_1.jpg

p2043119_2.jpg

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Not sure. Trying real hard to get my interior and my paint job this year before silv. Have a Mkiv customer that wants me to pull, rebuild, and tune his engine. The small spare time I have is going towards this. I should have a working mockup by april

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, very neat. Checks all the right boxes.

-6 speed
-Power tolerant
-Cheap to buy

If I stick with the Mk3 platform I'd be very interested in this for my car. I'm not a fan of the R154 so I've been using my rebuilt W58. I'm about at it's limits though so it's keeping me from pursuing more power.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Probably will be in for a kit here too. I know the single plate clutches will bolt right up with a disc swap, but what about a twin or triple disc for the more power hungry builds?