Off timing?? Car is not starting now...

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
I just had a new motor put in and i think the cam timing is off a little. When i first started it, the idle was at 1500rpm and it started overheating. There was also a loud clanking noise come from the head. I set the crank at 0 degrees and even with the cam gears align, the top of the cam lobe was not facing up.I set the ignition timing to 10 degrees and it ran ok but the clanking noise was still there. Adjusting the cps did stop the clanking for a second but it ran like shit. That was all yesterday. Today the car wont start even with adjusting the cps and resetting the ecu. Any help would be appreciated

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
from what I've learned, when i took everything off i made sure the crank was at 0 and cams at top dead center then mark the cps when pulling it out. the noise could be your valve lifters mixed up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cam pulleys in the correct spot on the cam?

Valve lash adjusted properly?

What was all done?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
When the cps is installed correctly, the cps tooth can sometimes jump one tooth off, even when you're very careful.
I always install the cps with the outer cover off, so I can tell if the shaft rotates.
Also, what do you mean by "clanking"? Do you mean a loud ticking noise, or does it genuinely sound like heavy metal
smacking into heavy metal?? If so, it sounds like your problem is bigger than just a timing issue.

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
i was wondering, on the cam gears, i know that there are three holes in the center of the gear, so when the cam gear is placed on correctly which put off the three holes are slotted in? the left mid or right?? ill check on the valve lash tho.

yess im doing the same thing as well actually, keep the plate of to see if the shaft rotatates, but once i push the cps as careful as i could be, it moves out of alignment even when everything is set at tdc and 0

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
ill cuhz;1809313 said:
yess im doing the same thing as well actually, keep the plate of to see if the shaft rotatates, but once i push the cps as careful as i could be, it moves out of alignment even when everything is set at tdc and 0

It will of course do this, since the gears mesh at an angle.
So don't worry too much about that. Worst case scenario, you have to adjust the cps the oppsite direction by one tooth.
But again- What's with the clanking description???

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
i see, well the clanking sounds was able to be adjust as i moved the cps, as i moved it toward the front end of the engine it settled down, but going the opposite way toward the rear, it would become louder

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'd set the timing at 10 and leave it. If it runs like crap find out why.

Also when setting either timing it's best to make sure the piston is at true tdc by pulling no1 plug and inserting a chop stick or something similar. The bonded rubber on the crank pulley goes bad over the years making everything off when you go by just that.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
What he said.
Check your pulley's index mark vs. the keyway position to see if it is off.
If your car runs smoother with really advanced timing, this could be the issue.
However, if your ign. timing is ok, but it runs worse, that tells me that a cam may be off a tooth as well.

And here's a dumb suggestion- make SURE your ignition waires are on the right spark plugs.