Odd Lifter Noise??

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've heard my fair share of noisy lifters but my Supra just developed a sound from (it seems like) under the cam cover at the back of the motor.

It doesn't sound like a normal lifter that's gone out of spec though, it sounds more hollow, kind of like the click people make by clucking their tongue on the roof of their mouth or like a coffee percolator. I got out my stethoscope but it's not a metal to metal sound so it doesn't really show up on the steth.

I'm thinking sticky lifter maybe? My motor has made some unsettling noises in the past, but at least I'd heard and could identify them, this one is a new one on me.

Anybody had this hollow tap sound and can identify...or got a good guess?

bo3232000

Lurking in the dark
Jul 22, 2005
Cumming,Georgia
www.cardomain.com
I just ran into a clacking noise also mine ended up being the camshaft caps being worn out my caps were hurt when the pressed on ring for the oil pump drive was pushed off due to a bad crank thrust washer....Pull the valve covers and use a long flathead screwdriver to pull and push around the cams in there place and see if you have movement inside the cam cap area due to wear or oil starving..... pry up and side to side..

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
bo3232000;1059352 said:
I just ran into a clacking noise also mine ended up being the camshaft caps being worn out my caps were hurt when the pressed on ring for the oil pump drive was pushed off due to a bad crank thrust washer....Pull the valve covers and use a long flathead screwdriver to pull and push around the cams in there place and see if you have movement inside the cam cap area due to wear or oil starving..... pry up and side to side..

I hadn't considered that, thanks.

Did you have any other symptoms other than the sound it was making?? Idle? Misfire? Or was the "clacking" the only clue something was wrong?

Did your motor make a hollow click sound (sorta like two pieces of hardwood striking each other?

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
bo3232000;1059352 said:

Mine did the same thing and this was also the problem. The cam's and caps where all chewed up. Only made a hollow noise no other problems. Everyone kept saying it was rod knock but it was to high in the motor for that.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
IJ.;1059940 said:

Yeah it's an auto trans...why do you ask?

I should also say it only makes the noise at idle and it's very quiet but it's there.

I've got the valve covers off it right now...I measured all the valve clearances and they're all within spec. I also checked the lifters and none are stuck. The cam lobs look fine too. Everything so far looks good. It's gotta be something, 'cause I'm not hearing things.

I'm going back out to the garage right now to check for wear/play in the cams and or saddles and caps.

I'll post back and report what I find.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
bo3232000;1059352 said:
I just ran into a clacking noise also mine ended up being the camshaft caps being worn out ... use a long flathead screwdriver to pull and push around the cams in there place and see if you have movement inside the cam cap area due to wear or oil starving..... pry up and side to side..

Even though this is a fresh motor I decided to check to see if there was any movement of the cams in the caps and saddles. On the intake nothing, and on the exhaust side...I wasn't sure, I thought maybe I could feel some movement but not sure. So I decided to pull the cams and check. As I'm loosening the cam bolts I immediately sense that the nut isn't tight enough. A quick check with my torque wrench verifies this. I'm guessing all the nuts were at about 7-8lbs. I was shocked.

So, I pulled the cams to look for damage to the bearings or the cam itself and didn't find any...probably because I haven't run it since I first heard this noise. Plasti-gauge verified the tolerances are well within spec (I checked it with the cam in several stages of rotation).

I just finished putting the cams back on and carefully tightening the nuts in increments to spec, I re-checked for movement in the cams...none. So I think that's got it. I'll finish assembling it tomorrow and post up.

My guess is that the torque wrench I just replaced was off on the lower torque readings, it is a snap-on but it's old, and honestly I haven't had it calibrated in a couple of years. I don't think these nuts could have backed off in such a short period of time (8-900 miles on motor). I'll be checking them again soon to make sure.

Any of you guys ever experienced cam nuts backing off shortly (8-900mi) after assembly?

Last edited:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
IJ.;1061155 said:
A cracked driveplate will make that noise sometimes.

Yes...I've cracked one (I've "grenaded" a lot of parts) and the sound is similar, only louder, and lower down, but it does make a similar hollow tick. I would be willing to bet it has often been mistaken for rod knock.

Getsideways86.5

supra chris
Mar 1, 2007
Fort Wayne Indiana
suprabad;1061151 said:
Even though this is a fresh motor I decided to check to see if there was any movement of the cams in the caps and saddles. On the intake nothing, and on the exhaust side...I wasn't sure, I thought maybe I could feel some movement but not sure. So I decided to pull the cams and check. As I'm loosening the cam bolts I immediately sense that the nut isn't tight enough. A quick check with my torque wrench verifies this. I'm guessing all the nuts were at about 7-8lbs. I was shocked.

So, I pulled the cams to look for damage to the bearings or the cam itself and didn't find any...probably because I haven't run it since I first heard this noise. Plasti-gauge verified the tolerances are well within spec (I checked it with the cam in several stages of rotation).

I just finished putting the cams back on and carefully tightening the nuts in increments to spec, I re-checked for movement in the cams...none. So I think that's got it. I'll finish assembling it tomorrow and post up.

My guess is that the torque wrench I just replaced was off on the lower torque readings, it is a snap-on but it's old, and honestly I haven't had it calibrated in a couple of years. I don't think these nuts could have backed off in such a short period of time (8-900 miles on motor). I'll be checking them again soon to make sure.

Any of you guys ever experienced cam nuts backing off shortly (8-900mi) after assembly?

Just wondering, did your engine throw a code 52??? i swear my engine has a bad lifter or something has came lose.. my sound is comming from the head, and not from the bottom end.. this is my second turbo supra and i know what a rod knock sounds like.. this is not the case.. can any one put some light on the subject?? anyone with the same problem, upper end noice tripping a knock code?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Getsideways86.5;1099699 said:
is anyone throwing a knock code, or has thrown a knock code due to a bad lifter?

No code, but I properly re-torqued the cam saddles and guess what? Dead silent...no valve noise at all.

Moral of the story - Get your torque wrench recalibrated once in a while. I'm totally wearing the dunce cap on that one.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Tad late, but have you cut the filter open and checked for shavings? Previous owner left ONE cam cap bolt loose. Horribly loud but also shredded some metal off the head. My oil has a very very very fine silvery dust (or did). I couldn't feel it and barely could see it unless sunlight was hitting it at an angle... guess what really sucks, i put close to 2000 miles on it like this (not knowing) and he could have put anywhere from 3-6,000 on it like this.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
how do you readjust your valves shims or what is that???? where did you get this shims of adjustment ???? my supra is making a sound like that and is just a rebuild engine someone tell me if the machine shop just change the shims position it is my problem thats why im asking someone of the supra gurus can help me please