Odd Idle and Rev Problem 1jz

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
My 1jz started acting odd it wouldn't take gas and it would only start for a second and die. i check the cel and it was a code 14 so i took the ecu and sent it to Driftmotion. While waiting for it to come back i had gotten another ecu to use during the down time. well to day i start the car and it idles high around 1000 then it will start rasing up to 1700 and drop right back down and keep doing this. i unhooked the tps and it stoped jumping idle but then it would just idle around 2300 and do nothing else. i have alot of spare parts to swap around with but i don't know what to start with. the car is a every day driver and never has acted up before. any help would be great

Last edited:

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
try re-calibrating your tps.

usually code 14 means your car won't run, i guess check the resistance of your cam/crank sensors..........usually it's the cam sensor if your car will run, since the ecu knows one is shot, and it can choose to only accept input from the other "good" one. or your wiring is shot.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Hey man.. How ya been,

On my 2J, the idle fluctuates/bounces and I am sure that it's the IACv. Only bounces between 600-900 RPMS. I have another one I need to put on now, which should fix the issue.

You may be able to fit a 2J IACv on there, but it will not be very easy. The 1J's is a 1-piece bracket/stepping-motor and the 2J can come apart. The coolant tubes are also pointed/shaped differently.

I have a spare 1J IACv that I may be able to let go. Check your TPS again and PM me if you want the 1J IACv I have. I am not sure what other Toyotas may have ones that can work, but I did not find ANY for the 2J... even the 1J one does not work in it's place.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
i have complete 1jz swap from another supra that i can swap parts from to test i just need to know what i need to start swaping to test.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
doesnt sound like an ECU problem.. however, the first time around you were correct to send it off to aaron. That "it wouldn't take gas and it would only start for a second and die" condition is a tell tale sign.

IACV is likely on this other issue.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
Just don't understand how a car can run so good and then out of no where the ecu go bad and now something else in less then a week.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
supramk3man;1126298 said:
Just don't understand how a car can run so good and then out of no where the ecu go bad and now something else in less then a week.

crazy huh? thats the question many ask themselves.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
LoL i didn't get a chance to do any parts swaping last night so i will tonight and let you all know if it does change.

OneJZsidzilla

Aug 19, 2008
Hollywood
You know, on start up, I get a similar response, where it runs up at like 1200 for a few minutes, and once the engine warms up it comes back down to like 800...never really thought anything about it until this post

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
I hope the extra one i got is good i really hate having to drive the truck around and with gas at a all time high it isn't very handy