odd compression test q&a

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
survyor2;1060802 said:
p1068702_1.jpg

That one. I left it full size so you could see it (break out those reading glasses gramps!).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DOH :(

At a guess I'd say that's what cracked it.

You get a buildup of crap in the bottom 1/3 that the bolts don't reach but the studs do.

Also looks like the block wasn't deburred after decking so that can contribute as well.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
IJ.;1068738 said:
DOH :(

At a guess I'd say that's what cracked it.

You get a buildup of crap in the bottom 1/3 that the bolts don't reach but the studs do.

Also looks like the block wasn't deburred after decking so that can contribute as well.

ah i see. So for sure too late for this block?

I did have this block "cleaned" by the machine shop. I can't be more detailed than that. I then put about 3000 miles on it with the bolts. Then I switched to studs and put on 500 more miles with the studs.

I need a list of stuff to do when I take it to the machine shop. Previously, i had it bored, decked, cleaned and 2 freeze plugs replaced.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Again personally I wouldn't risk it at that HP level, these motors move around a hell of a lot at high output.

Lower power with the holes washed with thinners and sealed with loctite you'd get away with it no probs.

I tend to be a bit conservative though so it's really up to you.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
IJ.;1068749 said:
Again personally I wouldn't risk it at that HP level, these motors move around a hell of a lot at high output.

Lower power with the holes washed with thinners and sealed with loctite you'd get away with it no probs.

I tend to be a bit conservative though so it's really up to you.

I did find a block locally. Its the older block though. If it has no cracks, would you feel comfortable running 550hp?