Odd brake light issue

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
I tried searching, but everything I could find was for brake lights not working. If this has been addressed in another thread, I apologize.

Picked up another supra, noticed one of the brake lights were out so I replaced it. While a friend was hitting the brakes so I could make sure it worked I noticed when the brakes were not on one of the running lights were extremely brighter than the others (lights that are on when the headlights are on, sorry please excuse my lack of technical verbage)

So when I checked it out I noticed that how the bulb has 2 wires inside of it, ( 1 is on for the running lights and the other comes on when you hit the brakes ) This 1 bulb would have both on without the brakes on. I swapped the bulbs out to see if that fixed it and nope.

Any suggestions on where to start? I'm car electrical stupid, so please talk slow. Also the rear light warning light is on.

fienloco

This or That?
Jul 5, 2012
Colorado
I also would like to hear of or if anyone else has had this issue? Mine is the same. 1988 Supra turn on running lights and/or head lights the right rear is constantly on as if stepping on the brake peddle.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No way a brake light switch could cause it... No car that I know has a brake light relay either. It's an issue with the sockets would be my guess. Though wiring issues are really easy to diagnose with the right tools...

fienloco

This or That?
Jul 5, 2012
Colorado
I had an extra light board and put that in to replace it and problem solve. Looking at the light itself and the sockets damaged light lense allowed water into sockets and I think that is what caused the problem. All bulbs were correct. Its all fixed up now. Now onto figuring out why fogs dont want to work, off topic. Thanks for the insight.