ODBI or ODB2 for MKIII swap?

MKNTRAXX

Loves tire smoke
Mar 31, 2005
Orange, va
So I have a 2jz-gte from a 97 USDM supra to swap into my 89 MKIII.

It didn't come with an ECU or harness so should I swap it in as an ODBI or ODBII.
Need to make this decision before i get the harness made.

Plans are to go single with 720 injectors on a VPC and SAFC looking for mid 400's on pump and 600 on race gas.

thank you.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I just switched from the Aristo JDM ECU to a USDM OBDII... MAP ECU, 650cc, ~66 single. Mainly, I'm pulling/using the CAN data -- various gauges/views displayed on my tablet (bluetooth). I have separate gauges for temp, wideband, boost and can log the MAP ECU data too, for comparisons/tuning, etc.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Ping me if you go with OBDII and want the wire map I made/used... Notes resistored connections for VSVs and MAF, using MAP ECU, as well as re-purposed wires (PPS, M-Rel, Batt, etc), and other connections (OBDII bluetooth scanner, Innovate LC-1, Apexi R/SM, etc).

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I've already been impressed at how much "more specific" the diagnostics are... Although it means that the ECU/connections are more sensitive (monitored). I'm using a cheap bluetooth scanner to push the CAN data to my tablet... codes, gauges (RPM, temp, etc, etc)

Some things to note:
1. If you go single, you will need to install resistors for the VSVs removed
2. Add new pins to harness/ECU for 2nd O2 sensor & another ground wire, move pin for datalink connector (VF1) to E10-Pin 8

MKNTRAXX

Loves tire smoke
Mar 31, 2005
Orange, va
Thanks, I have read up on the mods to swap from odbI to odbII. I may just go ahead and do the swap odbI with the GeForce ECU since it should have fixed the lean spot the ODBI ecu is known for.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Yeah... I initially used the JDM ECU w/MAP ECU. Any stock ECU will be fine with a piggy back. I still have the USDM OBDI and JDM ECUs as backups.