Occasional sputter

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
I ran some engine cleaner on the engine bay and then rinsed it off yesterday, and it has been sputtering a bit since. It doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes, it was doing it especially in the rain. It just sounds like maybe one cylinder isn't firing- it sounds like a subaru...
I experienced the exact same symptoms on my old 240SX, and it ended up being the fuel injector o-rings. I ordered a set of those, but does anyone else have any suggestions before they get here? Is there any chance the k&n filter is sucking in water or something? I am new to the Supra world...not very good at diagnosis yet!
Thanks! :)
Alex

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
earlingy;1131141 said:
I ran some engine cleaner on the engine bay and then rinsed it off yesterday, and it has been sputtering a bit since. It doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes, it was doing it especially in the rain. It just sounds like maybe one cylinder isn't firing- it sounds like a subaru...
I experienced the exact same symptoms on my old 240SX, and it ended up being the fuel injector o-rings. I ordered a set of those, but does anyone else have any suggestions before they get here? Is there any chance the k&n filter is sucking in water or something? I am new to the Supra world...not very good at diagnosis yet!
Thanks! :)
Alex

You may have got your ignition wires wet (if they're old, they could be a bit dried out), or maybe got some water under your distributor cap. This has happened to me in my Toyota pickup. Take off your distributor cap and check under it for moisture. If not, get yourself a can of wire drier from the auto parts store and spray down your distributor and ignition wires.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Water in the spark plug valley...

Pull the plug wires and have a look down in there, if it's a lot you can vacuum it out, if it's not much it will evaporate.

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
Alright. I'm down in there now. I already had planned to replace the spark plugs, so I just took it a little further...doing dist. cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, intake manifold gasket, collector gasket, and fuel injector o-rings. Also, this one hose that attaches right next to the oil filler cap and goes downward and reattaches maybe 6inches below is completely hard and cracking. Is that something I should/can get like from toyota oem pre bent?
SO!
Anything else I should replace while I have the intake manifold off?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I saw an engine bay recently that had an aftermarket hose that you are talking about. It ran up and over the alternator wiring instead of right behind it. If your hose is brittle and cracking, the wiring to the alternator probably is too. I have broken the wires off of a brittle harness like that. I hate that hose.

***THOUGHT*** That hose returns your oil to the crankcase. It probably works strictly on gravity, so going up might not be a good idea now that I think of it. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't think you can use just regular hose to replace that since oil travels through it. You may be better off getting a replacement from the dealer. Also, those hoses sometimes look cracked without being cracked, take a closer look at it. Did the sputter go away? Good Luck!

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
Yes. The hose is very cracked. I ripped it to pieces getting it off of the engine so I could get the top half of the intake manifold off. I don't think it's aftermarket- it seemed pretty oem. It was right in between the manifold and the alternator. I will put a pic up as soon as I get a chance. how in the world will toyota know what exact hose i'm talking about??

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
earlingy;1134308 said:
Yes. The hose is very cracked. I ripped it to pieces getting it off of the engine so I could get the top half of the intake manifold off. I don't think it's aftermarket- it seemed pretty oem. It was right in between the manifold and the alternator. I will put a pic up as soon as I get a chance. how in the world will toyota know what exact hose i'm talking about??

Just describe it to the dealer, they should know.

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
It starts on that empty end right next to the oil filler cap.
img0332ug8.jpg

It leads down to this hole right in the middle of the picture deep down in there.
img0333vw3.jpg

And this is it, positioned as it sits when attached.
img0334nh0.jpg

Is that still the right part #? ;)