o.s. valves issue?

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
back with more problems......surprise. got a built head- professionally ported/benched, os ferrea valvetrain, crower 272. i had put about 50 miles on and all sorts of problems. mainly a cylinder was completely dead ("0" on the gauge). brought head into machine shop and he said it was the valves. stems were too short, having issues with the locks. i almost dropped the valve, u could spin it with your finger while it was in the head.
so i had manley valves put in. put about another 50 miles on it and issues again. car is smoking and sputtering, wont go over 40mph and struggles to get there. compression test- another dead "0" cylinder......and im very low on coolant (bhg?).

i thought the only way to have "0" compression was a valve or no rings. hell, ive grenaded pistons rings before and the cylinder was still making 40psi. and this is a built bottom end. now car has been sitting for 2 months waiting its fate. anybody esle have issues like this? IJ? lol

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
hvyman;1160950 said:
what springs do you have?

dual ferrea. along with locks, titanium retainers, and seat locators. bronze valve guides. still have this valvtrain with the current manley valves.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
sorry ij, dont know that one. this shop has done plenty of work on imports/supras before so i just trusted them and their work. it does sound like a valve problem to you guys? these manley valves were supposed to fix the problem- the ferrea supposedly had too short of a stem, causing the last issue.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
machinist said since the stem was so short, and with the 272s, the top of the valve stem was getting wedged between locks and retainers causing a couple valves to hang open. never heard of it before but i trusted him and the manley valves (supposedly with a longer stem) fixed everything- for 50 miles or so.....

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
IJ.;1163228 said:
ummmm errrr ahhhh well......

interesting theory Ed :D

lol thats exactly wat i thought when he told me that. but when i put the head back on with the manley valves, it ran fine so i shut up. and now im screwed again. think im just gonna suck it up and try the bone stock head.....why does this car hate me so?? :3d_frown:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry I couldn't be of more help Ed.

The 7M head has a bunch of very specific parameters needed for the initial setup, once they're correct it's all just fine tuning/adjustment via shims.

I don't have that luxury being shimless so mine needs to be "right".

Find ir really odd that you can depress a spring by hand as the Ferrea's "should" have had 90 ft/lbs seat pressure at least and there's no way in hell you can move em by hand.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I've seen problems on Honda's where with OS valves the exhaust and intake valves actually interfered(hit) with each other. I've never paid close attention to the valves on a 7m other than stock and i've never stuck cams in with the head off to see how close the valves are.

Maybe your machinist got the shims wrong or ground the valve seat a little too much. :dunno: What you're passing along from the machinist doesn't really make much sense..

Or maybe it really is just a BHG..Although to have 0 compression, it almost has to be a valve, or a hole in the piston. What hg setup are you using?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I ran 1MM OS valves in my car for 2 years with zero issues. They were the SS ENGNBLDR units. (If my car was still on the road, I'd still be running them. ;)) I was also using stock springs/retainers, etc...

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i was able to twist the valve without depressing the spring. just put my thumb on it and twist.
how were u using os valves with stock springs. isnt there a valve float issue?
if a stock head fixes the problem (not holding my breath) i will probably use ferrea springs/retainers with stock valves and 272s. btw i had a 2mm cometic hg with studs- dont know how i could have blown it but my coolant is way low. oil is clean though