O-Ringing 7 MGTE Block

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Usually we just use respirators and use lots of coolant when machining beryllium copper, whereas we can't machine pure beryllium because the risk is too high. From what I understand berilium by itself is a small particle that gets lodged in the lungs easily and causes Berylliosis. But when mixed with other elements the particle becomes too large to cause an issue with the lungs.
Just an example of how deadly beryllium is; If you were to collect beryluim dust on the head of a needle and then spread it across a football stadium, it would be like a death sentence for every person in the stadium.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i love these types of threads. i thinks its so funny how on here such a little thing can start a battle of the brains. :rofl:

and i would like to hear how it turns out to the op. pics would be cool to.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, but the discussion is intelligent (oh crap, I'm here...nevermind)

What I find odd is that the factory headgasket uses copper sealing rings around the oil and water passages, but copper headgaskets have issues sealing there...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
ive always thought its about the heat transfer of the alloy head which keeps it intact, the correctly designed water jackets e.t.c.The alloy heads themselves are very vunerable to heat .
The copper sealing rings dont have the luxury of water cooling and the larger surface area to transfer heat like the head thus basicly burning up prematurely. If im wrong then ill say im drunk, if im right im just f#@%*n clever.:biglaugh:

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
Talking with my engine guy,he kind of goes along with the gist that MLS HG would be more practial with a street moter.Copper would be fine with the o-ringing,and with the sealents available .But is limited by the number of heat cycles you put into the moter and detonation levels you have at high boost.In short,probably replacing copper every year or 5-10K miles.
Being this moter is going into 1200 lb.street machine,I'm not keen on that being a yearly occurance.So I'll probably go with the 2mm HG with the studs.Liked the input from all you guys,thanks

7mboze

Oct 30, 2008
odenville ,al
shaeff;1189675 said:
So long as you properly machine everything to spec, a MLS gasket should work just fine...

Plenty of guys making big power with the aforementioned.

hi guys i am new to the site only a week old..... thanks to jay( suprahero). my name is bernard i have a 1990 supra turbo. I have read the post about the o-ring block well mine has been done by a master engine builder who builds race engines for living. It will allow higher boost pressure and decrease head gasketfailure. 30 psi or so.. If you decide to do dont use the steel use copper. reason number 1. copper is softer it will seal better. reason2. if you use steel it will work. but on an aluminum head it will leave indentation in the head if you have to pull the head off it may ruin it. steel is a better choice for iron heads not aluminum.... hope this helped i know this is an old post but i just scanned across it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If an MLS gasket is leaving an indentation in a head the head is already annealed and junk and shouldn't have been used for a high HP build to begin with....

The Ultimate in Head sealing would have to be gas filled Cooper Rings but the close bore spacing of a 7M rules them out and is why I won't use o-rings either.

We used Cooper rings on our 650hp 2 litre race cars back in the late 80's and once the install heights were dialled in we never lost a motor.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
IJ.;1204629 said:
If an MLS gasket is leaving an indentation in a head the head is already annealed and junk and shouldn't have been used for a high HP build to begin with....

The Ultimate in Head sealing would have to be gas filled Cooper Rings but the close bore spacing of a 7M rules them out and is why I won't use o-rings either.

We used Cooper rings on our 650hp 2 litre race cars back in the late 80's and once the install heights were dialled in we never lost a motor.

Were you involved with cosworth Ian? Thats about the only 2 litres race cars i can think of in oz that performed well back then. Probably would've met up with Dick Johnson and the sierra race team also?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I first got the job we had these

1988-Brock.jpg

They lost their budget and by the time they got $$$ again and I returned we had these>>

BrockSierra.jpg

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
For the americans this guy Peter Brock was one of the highest rated drivers in australia for a very long time, To be part of his team was no small feat.R.I.P brocky!

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
wiseco7mgt;1204706 said:
For the americans this guy Peter Brock was one of the highest rated drivers in australia for a very long time, To be part of his team was no small feat.R.I.P brocky!

We had a guy in the states named Pete Brock back in the mid 70's I belive.Was very big with the Datsuns on the road race scene.Probably no connection??One of the guys that drove for him,Tom Klausner,also drove one of the Sckee's (rebodied F5000) for second coming of Cam Am back then as well.Ahh,the good old days...

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
buldozr;1205064 said:
back when a dime bag was a dime and everybody had a afro. :)

We had nickle bags,guess that means I'm older.And here I thought everybody was taller back then?It was just the fro's with the pitch fork on top.And gas was 23 cents a gallon in Boulder.Life was so simple then...