NPR pistons?

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
I came across a set of NPR pistons and want to know if any one else has had any knowlege or experiance with them. I couldn't find much about them or there rep on google. The guy selling wants 100 for all six .20 over and balanced with the gram weight wrote on them. They look good but at that price I hesitate. See attached pic.

Attachments

• f2b1_2.jpg
    f2b1_2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 43

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey I run them in both my cars...well as soon as I fire up my new one I will be running them in my second car! Mine are the teflon coated version. Did 400+rwhp on my 87 for quiet a while with no problem! Mine were $260 per set so not sure if they are different. But I have had good luck so far!

Heres some pics:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1056103_1.jpg

p1056103_2.jpg

HTH,
Seth

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
For a stock rebuild or lower hp (under 500) they should hold up fine. They're pretty much as oem as you can get without ordering a set from toyota. They should actually be able to hold up to more hp as long as your tune is good. Cast pistons don't like detonation is what im trying to get at.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
Interesting.... I have often wondered about these. I always assumed they werent all that great due to the $250 asking price. How long you been running them sethron?

taid79

RWD
Sep 29, 2005
California
Hey, I used those exact same pistons in my rebuild as well! And so its running without any issues. I remember weighing the pistons and I believe they were pretty close but you should still check them. The rings are chrome so make sure you have a good tool to use when popping the pistons in the block. Good luck.

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
selfinfliction;1056529 said:
"with $10,000 worth of parts [and a set of NPR pistons] overnighted from japan, this will dessimate all!"

"Its not fast and now I'm furious."

Thanks for all the info, I want the probes, Bigaaron is worth the money, I just came across these and my cheap side came out.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
100 is the going rate for a set of aftermarket cast pistons. I've been running these since January '05. They've held up great, NOS and all and I think I am somewhere over 600 wheel. A piston is only as good as the person setting it up though.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
there are some drawbacks to forged pistons though... you have to get the machining done the right way. you have to have the correct piston to bore clearance. and with the probes you have to cut your rings by hand (or machine).

the NPR you could just hone the cylinders if there not horriblely out of round, and the rings that come with them are pre-gapped. not to mention cast pistons arent quite as picky as forged pistons.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have a set of those in .020 over sitting in the box. I went with Probe's myself. However- Sethron- you call them teflon coated- is that what it is? because mine has the same coating but they were described as anodized crowns, not teflon.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
supraguy@aol;1057625 said:
I have a set of those in .020 over sitting in the box. I went with Probe's myself. However- Sethron- you call them teflon coated- is that what it is? because mine has the same coating but they were described as anodized crowns, not teflon.

Hmmm, mine definately are not anodized. They are coated. Who knows in the end what it really is...lol The specs said teflon coated but these days who knows what is true and not! We will see how these hold up!

BTW I didn't go with forged bacause it is a daily driver and there are issues with hoping in and just driving(piston slap...ect) from what I understand plus I am only shooting for 550rwhp.

If you have the money and high goals go with the probes!

HTH,
Seth