not getting any boost out of my new 57 trim (long read)

boogum7

May 24, 2007
Oregon
so i know i needed a new turbo my old ct26 had tons of shaft play. I am a college student so i figured i could just go with a 57 trim for now.

Before the install:

Lots of shaft play, only a couple pounds of boost 3-4 (due to bad turbo, no leaks) ran fine, no issues and no codes that i was aware of. So one day it starts to smoke and bad. This was mostly during deceleration (don't know why) and sometimes when i was coming to a stop and downshifting to brake a some.

After install:

I got a hold of a rebuild ct26 that had been upgraded to the 57 trim. I installed the turbo with the help of a friend on the forums boosthpy. It was not to bad of an install, just the going back in that was hard :icon_bigg Ok so we finish with the install. Prime the turbo by pulling the efi fuse and cranking it until there was oil pressure (as informed to do on the forum i think). I finally pull the car out of the garage and start on the journey to let it warm up, once operating temperatures are reached it was time for our hard work to pay off. I put it into 2nd and take off. But to the surprise of me and passenger there was no boost. I try a few more pulls and nothing. We can hear the turbo sounding like it is going to spool and then nothing. We take it back to his house and pop the hood. No smoke, burning or overheating. We decide to call it a night. We figure ok it needs to be broken in. So i drive it home in the morning on the freeway. I only live 45 minutes away and here the freeway is 75 mph. So i am going about 75-80 mph on the way home. I try to do a few pulls to see what happens. I dont feel any boost, but the gauge moves from -4 to about -2 never any farther.

Today:
i get off work and pull the intercooler pipes, afm, and other parts to get a good look at the turbo (after a nice cool down). Nothing seems to be out of place or broken. The intercooler pipe that comes off the turbo was in good condition when we replaced the turbo. I checked all the other piping for cracks or holes and found nothing (stock except for upper hard pipe and aftermarket no name bov). I pulled the codes when i got home from work and there were no codes. The CEL just continually blinked no stopping or anything. A weird thing is the bov is still working. It will blow off when i am in park/neutral and sometimes i can barely hear it if i go in first. So what would make me not build any boost?

Cliff notes:

Turbo not boosting. Pulled codes and nothing. Checked for boost leaks by hand and visual check.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
make a boost leak tester, sounsds like you have a huuuuge leak somewhere.

did you connect the vacuum lines on the turbo and wastegate?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm going to bet it's a boost leak. most likely culprits= IC pipe right off the bottom of the turbo, and the coupler between the 3000 pipe and throttle body.

-shaeff

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
If it was a HUGE boost leak like it would have to be if it was one, it would be very very audible and distinct....i know very well as i recently had one. I blew out the pipe connected to the turbo down towards the IC...Huge tear...and i actually still boosted just a little bit...and YES the BOV still worked during it. But again, you'd hear lots and lots of air coming out ofthe turbo if it was that big of a leak

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
^^If the boost doesnt drive the turbine(exhaust side of the turbo) then how is your turbo sucking in any air to push it out that fast and make an audible sound?

Do you have any type of boost controller?

^^If it was only a tear your first time and your still boosting you would hear it because some of the boost is making it to the turbine and some is leaking out. So in this case, yes you would hear it.

Last edited:

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
does the turbo spin freely by hand? Did you try taking off the accordian pipe to see if the turbo is spinning while the car is running
?

boogum7

May 24, 2007
Oregon
i am very new to turbo cars. what would a boost leak sound like? Example maybe or a sound clip?

would the turbo still make noise if it was not boosting? i hear a loud whistling/shrill noise around the time it is supposed to start boosting. (once again no boost just noise from the turbo)

no i do not have a boost controller.

yes the turbine spins by hand and yes it spins at idle.

all of the hoses are connected between the turbo, wastegate and intercooler. i will go and check them all again once the car cools down.

is there anyway with the turbo on the car to check if it busted or just a bad rebuild?

thanks for the help, keep suggestions coming.

Last edited:

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
The loud whistling/SHRILL noise leads me to believe it is a boost leak. Since they can be kind of hard to find by the naked eye you might want to try and make a boost leak tester. Just type that into search and you should be able to find how. If the turbo was bad...it wouldnt spin freely or would have shaft play and/or might smoke...but i dont think it is?

boogum7

May 24, 2007
Oregon
ok so i didnt go get a boost leak tester made yet. But i think i found the problem, i took all the intercooler hoses off (except the plastic one in the fender) they all seemed fine still soft and no cracks that i could see. But i went to clean the intercooler just to see if it was full of oil. There was a little bit of oil but when i was cleaning it out with water a bunch of water was coming out of the corner. I looked and there was a hole large enough that i could see it plainly.

Now would this have caused me to not be able to boost at all? Because i could boost 3-4 pounds with the turbo that was in there before and nothing was changed during the turbo swap.

thanks for help:icon_bigg

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
Yea, If you have the 57 trim either get the spearco style or the bigger type and you'll be good. I think the bigger one is on back order. Also, get the 2.5 intercooler pipe kit. you'll feel a big difference. Or if you cant afford it yet I have a stock one I could sell you until you get the money:naughty:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
starscream5000 said:
www.driftmotion.com is when I got my bigger spearco style IC and harpipe kit, along with all silicone couplers, reducers, bends and t-bolt clamps needed. Highly recomended ;).

+1 for driftmotion, the spearco replica was ~$230, if you can get the bigger one do it and just move your stock oil cooler back some. Buy some piping from them and your good to go.

Or if your broke pm me i have a stock one laying around at home.