Not 1 but *2* CFX 2" cowl Carbon Fiber hoods!

Subcept

Learning
Mar 18, 2007
Seattle
the t3d;939274 said:
that is sexy!

anyone know makes just regular fiberglass cowl hoods like that?

I do. made many a hoods in my time. could easily make them out of anything from cheap fiberglass to aerospace pre-preg carbon fiber and make 10lb hoods.

the problem is the time and cost of making the molds, including bodyworking / prepping whatever hood I start with to make the molds from. anywhere from about $700-$3000 out of my pocket depending on what kind of materials I'd use to make the hoods.

so either I sell a couple of really expensive hoods, or a lot of cheap ones to recoup the cost of making the mold. I'm going to mess around and do a CF center console on sat since I have some people interested in that, and its small / easy, compared to a hood. and this is all evening / weekends after work, so its hard to turn down good paying side work to make a big ass hood mold I may or may not make money from.

So yeah, I could do it, but not if I'm gonna loose money :)

heres some crappy camera phone pics of some of the CF stuff I've made recently so people know I'm not full of bs.
http://www.flickr.com/gp/44217461@N00/WuV5W7

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Subcept;939510 said:
I do. made many a hoods in my time. could easily make them out of anything from cheap fiberglass to aerospace pre-preg carbon fiber and make 10lb hoods.

the problem is the time and cost of making the molds, including bodyworking / prepping whatever hood I start with to make the molds from. anywhere from about $700-$3000 out of my pocket depending on what kind of materials I'd use to make the hoods.

so either I sell a couple of really expensive hoods, or a lot of cheap ones to recoup the cost of making the mold. I'm going to mess around and do a CF center console on sat since I have some people interested in that, and its small / easy, compared to a hood. and this is all evening / weekends after work, so its hard to turn down good paying side work to make a big ass hood mold I may or may not make money from.

So yeah, I could do it, but not if I'm gonna loose money :)

I've done it all including the center console (which I still have on my car) Molds are not cheap to make and I don't like to make cheap parts either. It was either make good parts or nothing at all. I no longer have the 2" cowl mold because it just got lost in the move.

A mold for the under side and the top then having custom latches made etc..it can get pricey if you do it right.

Duane

Subcept

Learning
Mar 18, 2007
Seattle
yeah, I just threw away a 6 piece Lamborghini mercialgo (sp?) high-temp rear quarter panel mold that a customer wanted us to make and make parts from (the parts are like 12k from the factory) and he never paid his bill. so I just threw away a $8,000 never used mold in the dumpster. took me 2 months to make too.. argh.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Subcept;939541 said:
yeah, I just threw away a 6 piece Lamborghini mercialgo (sp?) high-temp rear quarter panel mold that a customer wanted us to make and make parts from (the parts are like 12k from the factory) and he never paid his bill. so I just threw away a $8,000 never used mold in the dumpster. took me 2 months to make too.. argh.

LOL

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
suprahero;938014 said:
It's beautiful that for sure. I'd love to have one with a light coat of blue metallic sprayed over it.

:nuts::nono: you crazy !

Bryan, i would seriously like to know how localy you found that... I rarely ever even see any supra's around here anymore let alone rare parts like that. :(

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Locally as in Farmington, CT about 10 minutes from my house....

Ian, lol, and i could only imagine the shipping cost!!