Northsupras tune-up

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Power is what we all want in our cars. Since i was a little kid it's been speed that's the definison of a cool car.
Well time has gone bye and i bought my self a supra.
2 years down the road i have changed the clutch and flywheel and put on a blitz nur spec exhaust and a mr hks knock of downpipe.

One day out driving i noticed that my car was blowing coolant into the overflow bottle, i could even feel it puffing in there.
There is only on solution to this, pull the head and find out, so that's what im going to do.

Before we start
supra.JPG

After som hours
supra2.JPG

Bye the looks of it there has been a mechanic i the engine bay before, because the cam gears and the tps has pen marks on them :icon_conf

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Part's thats going into this car

HKS headgasket
Maft pro
Wideband
SP 61gt bolt on turbo
HPF intercooler kit
550 injectors
walbro fuel pump
FPR and all that...
And a divorced dp for the turbo

I'll pray to the higher lords for this prosject, but they'll probebly just ignore me like i have ignored them :icon_wink

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Haha IJ, so true, lot's of trick to learn.
Well you have to learn to crawl before you get up and walk.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Ok today i picked of the upper part of the intake, and damn there's alot of things the toyota engeneers managed to hook up to it.
and i have loosen the fuel rail.
Taken of the cam covers and som other small stuff.
the front screws of the left cover was loose, so that could be the reason for the oil filt around my cam cover.

But that's all beacuse the urge for beer is to big, and there's a local happening here now. Beacause of moral laws here at this place you have to get drunk :icon_bigg

Sir

Guitar Rapist
Jun 10, 2006
Norway
www.silentvanquish.com
Very nice indeed:)
Can't wait till i get back to town for a ride when you're done man ;)
I just have to figure out how to take a break from sex, drugs and rock and roll first :D
Later man! \m/

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
kwnate said:
I used to think that too! Until I saw a honda civic run a 10 second quarter mile... ;)

HAhahah lol. Its still a Civic.

Good luck with your project NorthSupra! I fully understand the call of beer. Once you are done with that, get in that engine bay with a wire brush and some cleaner! Yikes!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BosoMKII said:
HAhahah lol. Its still a Civic.

Good luck with your project NorthSupra! I fully understand the call of beer. Once you are done with that, get in that engine bay with a wire brush and some cleaner! Yikes!

And you're still gonna have to tell people "No it's not my Sisters/Mom's car" ;)

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Well i really want to do work on my car but i have my working hours at the afternoon, and that does not suite my lifestyle, so i wont get alot done now :3d_frown:

And yeah it is like rust water and im quite sure it's from the radiator.
It's probely the provious owner that have used regualer water, coulden see it when i bought it, but when i flushed the system for the first time i saw it, and it's not nice.

Pray that the water passage inside the motor is ok

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
It's finaly stopped raining here, and the sun has been shineing all the day.
So i have done some more work, taken of the intake manifold, lots of connectors that i can play with wen it's going back on.

Started on the exhaust side and everything sits like it was shot there with a cannon. Well "rust spray" fixed that part and it came of after an hour and half fight with the turbo.

So now im pretty good at cursing :icon_conf

Got of the old turbo and i have to say it looks in very good condition.
It has no shaft play what so ever.

Well on to the pics. My camera battery was empty so we have to take some new pic tomorrow, but i got some pics of the new and the old turbo together.

:icon_razz
Front.jpg Hotside.jpg

No cracks here ither :)
Hotside old.jpg

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Today i pulled the head, and i liked what i saw.
No broken headgasket just a kinda miss shape on it with the 5 cylinder.
So microscopic that i doubt you can see it on the picture.

no water in the cylinders so this has been a bhg light light.

The head looks realy good to but im sending for machining and a valve check.

The motor is now in pices, parts are on their way, hopefully in the future there's a running car in sight.

block.jpg blockoverhead.jpg

Headbottom.jpg headtop.jpg

the untuched headgasket.jpg Zero holes :icon_bigg

The only thing that bothers me is the water channals is full of rust water.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
I wont give this one up, but i think i'll put it back to gether, do my prayers and then hope it doesent fail on me, and then rebuild the bottom end.

As it is now i just dont have the time to do a total overhaul.
But in the future. yes

Sir

Guitar Rapist
Jun 10, 2006
Norway
www.silentvanquish.com
How is the tune-up going man? Are you done yet? Judging from the msn activity, you're probably playing a mechanic all day long i guess :biglaugh:
Looks like i won't be coming to see ya before sometime in September or something, i dunno yet :icon_conf Anyway, i hope to see a running car when i come home man! OR ELSE :icon_evil Good luck, see ya mate! :icon_razz