Normal sound for HKS SSQV BOV?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Can't decide if this is normal sound for that BOV or compressor surge. Further, in the instructions it says that the BOV is "set from the factory" meaning no adjustment is necessary.

Thoughts?

[video=youtube_share;kcPordkApPI]http://youtu.be/kcPordkApPI[/video]

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Make sure you're not using cheap silicone hose that collapses under vacuum. This can keep the BOV from working properly.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'll have to look but I think I'm using silicone line I bought from hose techniques way way back. Does the standard stuff (non-silicone) you find at part stores have the same collapsing issue?

Just in case anyone is wondering, BOV is right off the throttle body.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Doesn't really sound like surge to me. But my Hks sounds a lot different and I have a real Ssqv3 purple insert.

Sounds like it does on a 1jz

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
redmaro;1815199 said:
Is this a new BOV? IF so, how much did you pay for it?

Mr Roundtree;1815214 said:
is it a real real legit hks? i have a fakeHS and it sounds just like that, i think you have a knock off too, and compressor surge doesn't sound like that. go to 0:50 on this video of genuine compressor surge http://youtu.be/nCj6Spwl1CU

I bought this thing a few years back and just got the car running, so I can't remember who I got it from, but I remember paying a pretty penny. I knew at that point there were knockoffs floating around on that and the wastegate (tial), so I def bought it from someone I was confident with at the time. So I'm going to say it's def genuine HKS.

Turbo Habanero;1815260 said:
Doesn't really sound like surge to me. But my Hks sounds a lot different and I have a real Ssqv3 purple insert.

Sounds like it does on a 1jz

lol I should probably mention at this point that the car is 2j T67... Was hoping to get a few answers about the BOV itself before I threw that into the mix.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Also it makes a stereotypical whistle... just don't hear it so much over my turbo being murdered (assuming the other sound is compressor surge).

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
you prob get a little surge but not much i would upgrade to a tial 50mm with the softest spring rate you can find.

and 2j that would explain the noise lol. mine sounds like a blunt force of air.

Real Hks says HKS in the silver plates

Fake says SSQV

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
airhead04;1815307 said:
How much boost is being pushed when it surges?

In that video I hit 15 lbs max (I know this because it hit boost cut on the first shift), but it seems to make the sound at lower psi as well.

Turbo Habanero;1815321 said:
you prob get a little surge but not much i would upgrade to a tial 50mm with the softest spring rate you can find.

and 2j that would explain the noise lol. mine sounds like a blunt force of air.

Real Hks says HKS in the silver plates

Fake says SSQV

I'll have to look and see. Im pretty sure it says hks and came with some seriously official looking packaging and paperwork... That could still be forged I imagine but I'm pretty confident that its real deal.

Got a tial 44mm and planning on picking up a 7.5 psi spring (currently 13.5) so I stop slamming into boost cut.