Noob stopping in to say Hello

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
New to here, but not new to the internet forums stuff. I am on a bunch of the other supra boards and some of the old school toyota boards. Here is my story...

Story starts out with this 76 RA29
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I fancied dropping a 7M into it. Easier and cheaper than the 1JZ as the 7M is almost a straight drop in for the chassis. I could never find one and the previous owner( a toyota mechanic) came up with a NOS cannon intake and weber sidedraft for the 20R in the car. Anyway, one day my friend calls me up and says that he found a cheap supra on craigslist. I figure that it can't be that good of a car for the amount of money they want. I call and the guy tells me that if I can get there the next morning before he leaves for the crusher I can have the car. I make it in the nick of time and end up with this...

p1164465_1.jpg

I got a straight MkIII supra with a 7M. The starter needed replacing as it had torqued off the engine. It also needed a new ignition cylinder as the keys had been lost. I found that stuff for around 40$. Got it all sorted out and tried to start it. Nothing happened. I started with the spark plugs and found this.

p1164465_2.jpg

Okay, so I fix that, not that hard. 25$ in gaskets, 12$ in plugs, I at least got NGKs, but I couldn't see spending 70$ in plugs for a possibly blown engine. 6$ in 8MM plug wires off a 6M from the junkyard. After all that, we got this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZfXRbpb_8I

I have a bunch of other parts for it waiting to be put on. New passenger's door, cleaner carpets, new bumper, new hatch, new passenger's seat. Nice thing is I found some one parting a couple supras out and the new parts ran me just under 75$ I also picked up a new dash pad and a better bumper out of the junkyard yesterday. Total for both was 24$ The dash pad is perfect with no rips tears or fading.
Big question was the headgasket. Is it the stock or a new one? I believe that it has been replaced. I know that the transmission only has a couple thousand miles on it as the old one was in the back of the supra when I bought it. When I replaced the valve cover gaskets, this is what the cams looked like.

p1164465_3.jpg

Which leads me to believe that the head has been off. Also, the mechanic that I showed it too believes that too. The car has almost 200K miles on it. The cams, if they haven't been worked on should be quite a bit more discolored than they are.

Okay, so the grand total for the car so far...
just over 350$ I only paid 200$ for the car originally. I think I did okay. Oh yeah, with out the exhaust, which it doesn't have, it pulls like a rabid ape!!!
Unfortunately, last week I did discover a coolant leak. I was just tooling around the yard with the car and a couple of minutes after I shut it off, I had a good sized pool of coolant on the driver's side floorboard. After investigating, I discovered the return line from the heater core is busted right at the firewall. So the next big job will be replacing the heater core and blower. I will at the same time replace the dash pad as well, since it will need to come out anyway.

There are also a lot of little things that need finishing. The passenger's headlight bucket is broken. I have a new one, but haven't had the time to put it on. Bumper will be fixed between the three I now have. New hatch as stated above. Passenger's seat needs some work. 'New
to me' carpet to go in. Good thing I removed the old carpet. It was bad!!! The windows had been left down for some time and the carpet had absorbed a lot of water. All that water had gotten inbetween the layers of sound insulation in the floorboards. I chipped most of that out. I did find that the floorboards are solid as are the rear wheel wells. I have new mouldings to put on around the windows and such. Eventually I will start a build thread and document most of this stuff.
Glad to finally be allowed to post and look forward to helping out if I can.

pgiller

Boost addict
Sep 16, 2008
Licking MO
WOW That is AWESOME. Great find and save. Cant wait to start seeing this future beast come togather. Oh and Welcome to SM.

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Thanks, these old toyotas are nothing if not reliable and addicting. I have been deciding whether or not to get another supra. Possibly to rebuild or just for spares. Since buying the '76 6 months or so ago, we have added two MA64s, the supra, a '93 corolica and an 85 camry to the herd. Once I get the supra up and running as a daily, the work on the '76 will commence in earnest.