Noob Question on Retarding Timing

Mk3AE862.0XXS13

May 1, 2011
United States
Okay so when increasing boost you have to retard timing to avoid pre-det correct? Now for us MK3 1JZ-GTE owners finding a piggy back Ignition controller is not an easy feat, so is it possible to safely retard the timing for increased boost on stock twins or even up say twin TD05-18G's using adjustable cam gears? Am I trying to bandaid the problem by just avoiding going with a standalone? Is there an easier way to add a 880cc injector kit from Suprastore with the Godzilla intake and manual boost controller and safely increase boost while avoiding predet. I am also adding HKS 264 cams. Thanks

Mk3AE862.0XXS13

May 1, 2011
United States
Okay from what I understand stand-alones don't come with base maps, and I don't know enough about tuning to put a safe tune on it to get it to a shop. Also standalones are a PIA to wire up if I am not going all out 900HP 30psi of boost, I am only looking to get maybe 325-350 on stock twins with upgraded fuel system, and a fuel controller. I have a manual boost controller, and will be getting a NEO or equivilent soon.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1 the aem ddriftmotion has is plug and play (PnP) meaning no wiring involved. And you could always plug the standalone in when you get to the tuner.
2 it comes with a base map to get to a tuner.
3. You don't need 800cc injectors to get 325hp. Jdm 2jx 440 Inj drop in and are
More than enough.
4. To hit 325 you need a bcc, something to tune with, little more fueling and a boost controller. Not hard to hit that.
5. If your on the stock y pipe that's going to restrict your exhaust a lot.

Basically to hit that is basic bolt ons and some tuning.

Mk3AE862.0XXS13

May 1, 2011
United States
oh sorry the car already has a ridonkulous 3" STRAIGHT exhaust(the emphasis on straight because who ever put it on didn't even follow the contour of the existing exhaust space, it makes a 45 degree turn after the down pipe and is a straight peice of 3" exhaust to the APEXI fart can) so I feel like my exhaust is unrestricted as possible. I eventually will be upgrading the turbos to two larger ones and getting a standalone to get me into the 650 range but I am looking to put all supporting mods on it now and still kick up the boost enough to get me to 325-350. The car also has a FMIC, upgraded Mishimoto radiator, twin electric fans. I want to keep the twins(unique and personal preference) make around 650 and have a streetable weekend driver.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I really doubt you'll need to do any of that if you're still running stock twins. Once you upgrade the turbos, yes, you'll need the fuel and tuning ability.

Mk3AE862.0XXS13

May 1, 2011
United States
Poodles;1788320 said:
I really doubt you'll need to do any of that if you're still running stock twins. Once you upgrade the turbos, yes, you'll need the fuel and tuning ability.

I know I won't NEED it with the stock twins but I want to have it all done and on there so WHEN I get a tubular twin manifold built and get the new turbos all I have to do is weld up the manifold to the existing exhaust, mount a wastegate and rerun some intercooler piping, mount the turbos and manifold and get it retuned. I am looking to have ALL supporting mods done to this before I slap on a new manifold and turbos

Mk3AE862.0XXS13

May 1, 2011
United States
Okay I feel like we are drifting off topic or I didn't state my question clear, I am putting a shit ton of supporting mods on my car, injectors large enough to hit 650HP, intake manifold, boost controller (manual), cam's and gears, wideband, fuel pump, and suspension mods to keep it going straight( or sideways ;) ) all before putting a tubular twin manifold and larger (TD05 18G or 16G) turbos, with a stand-alone. I want to know if after having all these on there and running a stock ECU (possibly with a Air/Fuel controller like a NEO) can an adjustable cam gear retard the timing enough to keep the motor running safe, at say 15-18psi on stock twins with all the supporting mods.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mk3AE862.0XXS13;1788331 said:
Okay I feel like we are drifting off topic or I didn't state my question clear, I am putting a shit ton of supporting mods on my car, injectors large enough to hit 650HP, intake manifold, boost controller (manual), cam's and gears, wideband, fuel pump, and suspension mods to keep it going straight( or sideways ;) ) all before putting a tubular twin manifold and larger (TD05 18G or 16G) turbos, with a stand-alone. I want to know if after having all these on there and running a stock ECU (possibly with a Air/Fuel controller like a NEO) can an adjustable cam gear retard the timing enough to keep the motor running safe, at say 15-18psi on stock twins with all the supporting mods.

The "Danger" comes from Ignition timing......

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
For now, if all you're wanting is around 320-350, port the head nicely, put in those cams (BC264's here, so far so good), and change out the y-pipe. Other than those 3 things, my car is 100% stock (well, 3" exhaust, but I'm pretty sure all these cars have that by now), and I put down 320rwhp on only 12psi. Bumped up to 15 or 16, I'm sure I would have seen 350.

Plus, in the long run, you'll have a nice setup for future upgrades too. :)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I didn't find the need to retard the ignition timing at all on mine, I'm actually running with it advanced (it's a side effect of pulling airflow with the the AFC Neo to lean the car out with the bigger injectors).

You shouldn't need to worry about retarding timing with the stock turbos still on there unless you are trying to run the car really lean for some reason. The JZ engines are very detonation resistant compared to most engines from their era.

I'm referring to ignition timing here, which isn't adjustable on the 1JZ unless you have a standalone as far as I have ever seen.

Cam timing is something completely different and unrelated, and that's what adjustable cam gears are for.

If you get aftermarket cams, you should get adjustable cam gears to dial them in using a dyno for the best results.

Adjustable cam gears on stock cams are only useful if you are trying to trade some low RPM power for some high RPM power (or the other way around).