noob clutch question

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
I am using a W58 with my 1JZ on a stock clutch and it slips horribly whenever I gas it.

I was thinking about using a stock Toyota R154 clutch disk along with the W58 pp. Basically I just need something that's cheap and won't slip. I drove a friend's car with basically the same mods that I have, only he has an R154 with a stock clutch setup, and it holds fine, but I just wanted to make sure with anyone who has tried this setup.

Also, is the R154 pressure plate stronger than the W58? I don't know too much about clutches.

thanks guys

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
the w58 is a smaller clutch and probably weaker pp.. you just need an upgraded clutch.. at least w58 clutches are cheaper then r154... you'll probably need a clutch from a mkiv na?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ. said:
I thought the discs were the same?
could be right.. i dont remember.. I thought when I looked on acts site they said the w58s was like 200mm and the r154s was 225.. but who knows..

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
yeah, I don't even know the differences between the two clutches, other than the pp of the R154 appears to be thicker at the flange.

I'm just basing this off my experience of driving my car and my friend's car back to back. We both had new clutches and almost identical mods, only his was R154 and mine was W58.

Also I should have mentioned that this is for my dad's cress, so I'm looking for the most cost effective option, lol.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I've been running a w58 autozone clutch ($16 or something like that) on my 1j w/r154 for a month or two now, no problem with slipping yet.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
You just need a new clutch kit. Upgraded would be suggested, but is not required. A local car has 380+ at the wheels on a factory toyota w58 clutch (7mge).

The turbo disc does have a larger diamter. Otherwise it appears the same. I Was about to try one in my GE plate, but I did not want to risk having it catch the sides.

I would suggest at least some sort of aftermarket stage 1 disc, something with metal bands in the design to keep the wear down.