Non VVTI vs VVTI

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
bountykilla0118;930497 said:
Is there any truth to the non vvti engine being alot stronger than the vvti motors or are they equally as strong?

If anything Non Vvt-i is stronger, Toyota went with smaller lighter rods on all their vvt-i engines. from the 2jz- all the way up to the 2uz-fe. let me show u a examples..

GTE_vs_GE_pistons.jpg

The skinnier rod of the left is a vvt-i 2jz rod, the thicker one on the right is a non vvt-i

Look at the vvt-i rods in this pic..
IMG_0070.JPG

here are 1uz (non vvt-i) vs 3uz (vvt-i)
rod&

rod%20003.jpg

rod%20002.jpg

Non VVt-i rods are much beefier on all toyota engines.. go with non vvt-i

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
no to mention getting the vvt-i to work correctly with higher power.. pain in the ass, I liken it to the RB-Neo VVL motors.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
JASONA70;930607 said:
wow, what a major differences in sizes, what were the developers thinking?!

lets spend a little less on each motor and in the end we'll make millions? sounds liek a good idea to me.

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
JASONA70;930607 said:
wow, what a major differences in sizes, what were the developers thinking?!
Maybe that lower rotational weight is a good thing? The lighter rod is better in EVERY aspect for a stock motor, which is what they are producing. There are way more advantages to going with the lightest rod possible AS LONG AS it is strong enough vs. overbuilding. Just a thought, maybe you were being sarcastic and I didn't get it. Anyway.......hopefully that's helpful.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
bountykilla0118;930497 said:
Is there any truth to the non vvti engine being alot stronger than the vvti motors or are they equally as strong?

For sure it is true for 2JZ ,but for 1JZ I’m not so sure. Unless someone have firsthand experience with highly modded 1jz-GTE vvt-i my guess will be that there might not even be a difference in the rods ,since the 1JZ-vvti was introduced in 1996 (2Jz-vvti 1998). In addition - the official document from Toyota in regards to the introduction of 1JZ-GTE VVT-I ,they do not mention a difference in the rods… but they DO show the following 2 graphs :)

image016.gif

image018.gif

P.S. Any twin turbo lovers still around? ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
are these vvti rods you're posting NA or turbo? VVTi NA 2jzges are weak. The Turbo VVTi parts are just as strong as the non-vvti 2jzgte.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
tissimo;934206 said:
are these vvti rods you're posting NA or turbo? VVTi NA 2jzges are weak. The Turbo VVTi parts are just as strong as the non-vvti 2jzgte.

Part numbers for all 2jz rods are the same for non turbo and turbo models. in that pic both were n/a rods