Non-turbo w/q45 TB, will it work?

87supraman

Jan 26, 2006
Tucson Arizona
I have a Q45 TB, i had a custom Y pipe built to so i could install the TB, when i did finally install it, it ran but leaned out ("fuel cut" for you turbo guys out there) , so i reinstalled the original TB, I now have a TRD fuel pressure regulator installed, do you guys think it will have enough fuel volume to run with the q45 TB without running lean, or should i install bigger injectors also?

87supraman

Jan 26, 2006
Tucson Arizona
just wanna do same as everyone else, make more power, and i don't have the money to rebuild my turbo engine yet.
Figure more air more fuel... more power, other mods, MSD coil and wires, methanol injection (current spray nozzle is too big tho), full 2.5 inch exhaust, flex lite 14in electric fan

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

oh forgot TRD fuel pressure regulator, and if i have to i have bigger injectors i've been saving and a couple 255 fuel pumps, if i need to install those to make this thing work

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
yep, you wont get much of anywhere with more air more fuel you can only compress so much.. Easiest way to get power out of a 7MGE is to throw a nitrous kit on it.. Thats about all you can do

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If anything you would want a tiny bit bigger throttle body not a massive one.

All that money into the n/a and you could have been turbo.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
Chances are you'll just make the engine run worse with that setup. Larger intake components are dicy. You can reduce restrictions to the stock components to help it breathe a little better, but there is a point where the progress is negative. N/A really relies on intake velocity to provide enough mixing of the atomized fuel charge and the incoming air for efficient combustion. As you may or may not know, for a given air volume moving from point A to point B, the larger area it has to flow through, the slower it will have to move for that volume of air to reach the end point in the given time. If you blow through a cardboard tube, you can barely feel the air coming out the other end. If you blow through a straw, you can move a paperclip across the table with the air jet. That veolcity acts within the combustion chamber to get that atomized fuel as evenly mixed as possible for a complete and instantaneous combustion. If it is a spotty mix, the burn will be slower, and thus the power generated will be less.

Sorry for the science lesson, but it is necessary to understand what is happenning before going and modifying things. A larger TB might help out near redline as the amount of air required by the engine is at its peak. Everywhere else however, you'll kill the powerband. There are actually a ton of tuners out there who REDUCE the intake runner area to increase flow velocity within their desired power band. The best engine is one where all the parts work well with each other...not necessarily the one that has the largest this and the largest that.

Put your stock TB back on.

87supraman

Jan 26, 2006
Tucson Arizona
I bought all these parts for my turbo engine ( soon as i finish the rebuild ) just waiting on my FFIM and the head work to be completed, i figured in the mean time why not use these parts to make the ole N/A a little more fun to drive, I'll probably put the Q45 on just to see if it does anything worth while. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works, if it works at all lol