Non Supra Turbo Advice

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Alright guys, I have been piece by piece buying parts for my turbo kit for my car. Which granted, doesn't come with a turbo kit, nor has anyone really done the job of turboing it. I own a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-Speed (V6 VQ35 3.5L Engine)...

Anyway, so far I have

Turbo
Wastegate
Engine Managment
Intercooler
Turbo Timer
Booster Controller

Now mostly the Advise I am looking for, all parts are already selected... the main thing is, I want to talk to some big turbo guys to see if what I am doing is stupid...

I am somewhat sponsored (not like full rear window sticker) but I have a buddy who owns a company locally and he gets me good prices on shit...

So far I have...

Tubonetics 62-1 Fullsize / 65 .96 A/R

Greddy eManage Ultimate

EBoost 2

Turbosmart Race Port
Featuring a massive 52mm inlet, the Race Port is Turbosmart’s largest and highest-flowing blow-off valve. Flowing up to 100% more than its nearest competitor, the Race Port is ideal for high horsepower, turbo or supercharged racing applications. Lightweight and compact, it fits easily into small, space-restricted engine bays.
931.jpg

Turbosmart Ultra-Gate 38 MM Hi-Temp
http://www.turbosmartusa.com/index.php?id=53

I want to know if using High Performance parts for low / moderate boost is a bad idea.

The products above can support mass power (Boost controller can control up to 40 PSI, and the Wastegate can support up to 60 PSI)

I am getting good deals on all the stuff, so I am literally paying less or top name then I would be for cheaper shit (if that makes since), I just don't want to be running around with my 7 PSI and have some of these parts not work (even though they all seem to function on the lower scale, such as the waste gates stock spring is exactly 7 PSI)...

Eventually I plan to build the internals and turn the boost up to 12 - 14 but for now I am sticking with 7...

Looking for opinions from people who have worked with big turbos, as this is not your run of the mill NA-T Turbo (for any company)

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Turbo is going to be mid mount (mounted right after the y-pipe connects)
Oil lines, I have a local shop I am buying from... going to get a pump for the oil...

Fuel System... Going to get a walbro fuel pump, stock injectors for the time being as I am running low boost, and if needed I will upgrade the injectors, but for the time being, I believe with Emanage and the walbro I will be good on fuel for 7 PSI

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
on SM, we don't care if you link to another forum. ;) this isn't SF.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
If you have the same problem as the vq in the early 350s, I have heard that the piston rings tend to go under boost. What about your clutch/pp setup, stock probably wont work for that long. Intercooler size, piping size and length? Are you going with a full map system, or an AFM/MAF based system? If its the latter choice, then I would find a BOV that recirulates.

GL and HF. Take plenty of pictures and videos.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Clutch right now is a Spec Stage 2 which is being upgraded to a Centerforce Dual Friction (My trans is currently out of the car being rebuilt in my living room).

The intercooler is rather small and is going to be a side mount.

Piping, Header to Y-pipe to Turbo will be 2.5". Intercooler piping with be 2.5".

Exhaust is going to be 3".

For the first month or so we will probably turn auto tune on Emanage on. We have an LM-1 Wideband right now welded into the y-pipe and is currently set to autotune on my NA setup. Emanage Ultimate will take care of everything for my engine management.

There is a local shop that specializes in 350z and g35's locally. and I have talked to them about the setup, they said for the boost I am running I should do fine.

The main reason that I am discussing this here versus another message more geared to my car and engine is because I am trying to keep it a secret. I have learned that when you open your mouth you get this instant surge or "coolness" from the community, and everyone wants to ask you questions ect ect... I don't really want that just yet, I want to get the car done before I tell anyone related to the topic.

Most of the z guys really ran into problems when they were up in the 600HP range, at that point they were lifting their head. Also a lot of them were turning their revlimiter up to 8k and floating valves.

Eventually the car will be dyno tuned but for starters like I said, auto tune with LM-1 should work for us.

Most of the Z and G35 guys that I have come across really arn't doing turbos the way I plan to... here is a quick mspaint picture of our setup, then you might understand why though they are the same motor, that is the only thing in common between me and the 350z / g35 turbo guys...
turboimage.JPG

Gray = Stock Piping
Black = New Piping / Parts