Non-staggered picture thread...

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
franky2fingaz;1904221 said:
I've searched but I need some good ideas, and I also love a proper same size fat-tired set-up... post up or send me some links...

cheers
Here's my non-staggered set up: PICT0041.jpg245/45/16 BFG/KDW. They aren't adequate for the torque the Supra now makes. I'm planning on 17x9, Enkei RPF1 http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/enkei-racing-wheels.jsp with a near stock off-set and 255/40/17 tires. Van

franky2fingaz

Nov 10, 2012
The windsor
cool keep them coming... That's exactly what I was thinking: 17x9 +24ish with 255s or 265s... good track set-up for better F/R balance and less understeer...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Here's my wheels I just got. 17x8 0 offset. Front tires are 205 and rear tires are 215. Obviously I will be modifying my fenders.

p1904249_1.jpg

p1904249_2.jpg

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
planemos;1904249 said:
Here's my wheels I just got. 17x8 0 offset. Front tires are 205 and rear tires are 215. Obviously I will be modifying my fenders.

the term staggered also applies to different size tires

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
planemos;1904249 said:

why bother going through the trouble of modifying the tires for such narrow wheels, when you can get far wider that actually fit a stock fender?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
The answer to your question is steering angle increase. And I didn't modify my tires. ??? I just bought these wheels (that means tire and rim) off a guy who had them on his RX7.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ running off set such like this will make you suspension not work properly and way out of it's proper swing path

and far as i can see it wonte to diddly for streeing angle

when incressing tire size it good to add abit on both sides at a time

i think the biggest you can put on supra is about 8inc rim mabye 8.5

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
NashMan;1904356 said:
i think the biggest you can put on supra is about 8inc rim mabye 8.5

You talking about the biggest non-staggered? I've got 9" +35 on the front of my car.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
NashMan;1904356 said:
^ running off set such like this will make you suspension not work properly and way out of it's proper swing path

and far as i can see it wonte to diddly for streeing angle

That is a load of bull. I meant that I am increasing my steering angle and need clearance. I was only try to help franky2fingaz get some ideas.

franky2fingaz

Nov 10, 2012
The windsor
Yes I do mean the fattest sets out there... I've come across many nice set-ups, I especially like the Saleen replicas with 17x9 +24 on a 255 all around, I would like the 17x10s with 275s but that requires lots of pulling and negative camber.. not something you wanna deal with here with such deep truck ruts...

Zero offset looks really nice on a fat bodied cars like these, but I would be cautious in very hard cornering.... I'm not going to details of what I do, but my job is suspension geometry and beating the shit out of stock factory setups with many different rim sizes.. . basic rule we go by: the closer the center line of the wheel is to the steering pivot center the more natural steering is and less twitchy the car is on hard sweepers. Also it does impose a little more stress on bushings, bearings and p/s pumps.... But I still love the look...

To be more clear, zero offset is extreme but a Supra has a more robust suspension than many modern day cars, and yours with those rims could handle just fine, but that's the theory .. .

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
planemos;1904481 said:
That is a load of bull. I meant that I am increasing my steering angle and need clearance. I was only try to help franky2fingaz get some ideas.

I am sorry but it's not when ever you modd the suspension every thing changes in is swing path there's really no way around it even with cast camber toe adjustemt's can only go so far

mix a heavy off set then lower your car you way off from what you suppost to be and hopefully still able to a-line the car proper with out changing all the arms muilt link jazz ect

that why race cars don't use stock suspension componets

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I can't see how my wheel offset could effect my suspension travel and behavior. Having a wider stance would make my car more stable I would think... I have lowered my car with Stance coilovers and I know that the control arms are not ideal. But I have a fairly stiff setup and there is not a lot of movement compared to how it would be on original springs. I don't have any rear suspension arms yet but I plan to get some. That will allow me the adjustments needed to get a good drifting alignment. The only bad thing I thought there was from having zero offset wheels was that there would be more stress on the ball joints and knuckle areas. All my ball joints are new and ya, supra suspension is strong. Drifting is also a little bit about looks of the car. So lowering is a good way to go and it lowers the center of gravity so that helps increase handling ability. I want to do some playing with the sway bars too. Many grassroots drifters are ditching the sway bars but I don't really want that.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
it's give an take when ever you adjust any thing... but when ya make stuff wider it will not make it turn sharper in a way. that why you don't see it in drift cars in less they subistuded lots of camber

but when runing lots of camber you car will fallow every rut in the road some what in less you can fix this with toe, you can fix this but tire ware will be horrid but make great turn in

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Cool Story guys^ I came in here hoping for pics of aggressive square setups... found some rather off topic arguing instead
Generally speaking you just need to find the widest setup that will fit on the front cause I can guarantee it will fit the rear also. I'll be going with a 18x9.5+30 and a 275 eventually, and that will take a good pull to fit.
I know 18x8+30 with a 245/40/18 will fit with a very slight roll, I'll get a pic tomorrow

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
It sounds like you want a lot of meat. You need to think about turning the wheels also. Usually if there is issues with turning clearance the wheels hit the front sway bar and the lower control arm at or around full lock. Also the tires can move quite a bit just from hard cornering forces. In my picture I have pulled the rear a little bit. The front fenders I have not modified. You can see that the zero offset wheels in the back seem to fit better, where as the front ones stick out about a half inch. But I think I have pulled out the rear fenders about an inch or so. I am going to be widening my front fenders of course. Since nobody else is providing pictures you should go look at the other big wheels/offset threads. I hope my zero offset 17x8 rims picture helps you determine and take measurements of what you want.

peytoncoyote

Aug 5, 2012
Lemoore, CA
Best place to look at different tirw and wheel set ups is the wheel fitment thread at the top of the General MKIII discussion, I found allot of help stuff there were it has worked for allot of people.