noise filter purpose?

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
im doing the wire harness for my 88 supra 2jz and i came across the igniter pack wiring. as the 12+ feeds each coil it goes to to a noise filter and then grounded.
i didnt get a noise filter in my harness but i was wondering what would happen if i didnt include it.
wiring schematics are:
http://www.97supraturbo.com/1997%20Service%20Manual/Electrical.pdf
scroll down to about 1/4 of the website to "starting and ignition" page 61

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2j harness or 7m harness? Which one are you using that is?

I didnt use it on my 1jz.

Its to keep the frequency of the electrical system from causing interference.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No there is one that is external and replaceable on the 7m harness. It bolts to like where the igniter is.

images

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
nope def. not in the loom because i took every piece of electrical tape off.
is there a pic of the 7m noise filter?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

oh just saw the pic now. k thanks man!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
capictor or condensor stores electrical charge.

Noise filter is kinda like for static on a radio.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1717840 said:
capictor or condensor stores electrical charge.

Noise filter is kinda like for static on a radio.

Same same, it's just a cap.

There's another from memory in the a pillar near the fuse panel for the rear window demister.
(there's a few others hidden in the car)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Here they're more commonly called a noise suppressor and date back to Wire plug leads...
(in the "old days" you could "hear" the engine RPM's through the radio without them)

Modern cars have them everywhere usually on anything with an on/off load that "might" cause an electrical spike as it's switched, if this spike get's into the loom it can upset the ECU/other electronic devices leading to "issues".

This is my Gumby Understanding I'm sure there are a LOT of other factors.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1717891 said:
Here they're more commonly called a noise suppressor and date back to Wire plug leads...
(in the "old days" you could "hear" the engine RPM's through the radio without them)

Modern cars have them everywhere usually on anything with an on/off load that "might" cause an electrical spike as it's switched, if this spike get's into the loom it can upset the ECU/other electronic devices leading to "issues".

This is my Gumby Understanding I'm sure there are a LOT of other factors.

Interesting... I can hear my rpms rise up and down, but only after installing an amp for the stereo. Is there any danger to the electrical system because of this? I don't mind the noise, but not a fan of vehicle fires either. :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
te72;1718042 said:
Interesting... I can hear my rpms rise up and down, but only after installing an amp for the stereo. Is there any danger to the electrical system because of this? I don't mind the noise, but not a fan of vehicle fires either. :p

Never heard of it being a problem other than the noise, buy a box of caps/suppressors they're cheap as and start screwing them to things ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1718114 said:
Never heard of it being a problem other than the noise, buy a box of caps/suppressors they're cheap as and start screwing them to things ;)

Had the same issue with my 88 and we were able to fix it by toying around with where wiring was grounded to, etc... I think in my case it was an issue with the stereo deck's ground. No biggie, I think it's kinda neat sounding haha.