no thermostat no overheat?!?!

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
I suspect i have a bhg. Ill drive my car hard and she overheats. I just wanted to try something and removed the thermostat totally.. I drove it hard and it didn't overheat. just wondering why is this?

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Because coolant is constantly flowing, it has nothing to stop it, which is what the thermostat does....drive it like that in the winter and you wont be able to even warm the car up, and your heater will just blow cool air.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
oh i see. I dont drive the car daily or anything because of my BHG problem but just wondering do u think a light easy revving 30 minute drive would be alright? I have to get somewhere and this is the only car i have.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
i cant drive it like i stole it too much.. I launched it a couple times and on the 2nd or 3rd launch i watched a trail a coolant follow me. This is only when i beat on her tho. When i picked her up from storage i drove her nice and easy and she didnt spit coolant or anything.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
dont drive it, fix it!

If you are leaking any coolent into the oil, you will destroy the bearings in short order for one. Two, it is only going to get worse. Three, in hot climates, prolonged high speed driving (hwy cruise) will most likely cause the car to overheat without a T-stat. The T-stat control both temp and coolent flow and without it, sustained high RPM's will cause the coolent to circulate to fast and therefor not spend enough time in the rad to cool down.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
cjsupra90 said:
dont drive it, fix it!

If you are leaking any coolent into the oil, you will destroy the bearings in short order for one. Two, it is only going to get worse. Three, in hot climates, prolonged high speed driving (hwy cruise) will most likely cause the car to overheat without a T-stat. The T-stat control both temp and coolent flow and without it, sustained high RPM's will cause the coolent to circulate to fast and therefor not spend enough time in the rad to cool down.

Its not tho. Im getting Oil in my coolant. not the other way around. I THOUGHT i was leaking coolant into my oil so I drained the oil out to check and nothing. I put new oil in it took it for a small drive and the oil was still nice a clean no milky shit. but my coolant resivior was all brown and gunky. I check my oil daily and i dont even drive the thing so theres no coolant in my oil.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Ric said:
is coolent coming out the tail pipe? or do u just have a busted radiator?

Coolant is being pushed out my resivior. I saw the stream of coolant and checked under the hood my coolant res was filled to the rim and the little drain hose was wet.

PS: I just started it now for the first time in about a week. I just puffed out a huge puff of burnt oil out my exhuast and some very very light white puffs after she was running for a bit. when I say very light i mean LIGHT.. but there is still something puffin

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Why does it still run so amazingly with a BHG? Like I could go out right now and leave a patch with ease?!?! shouldnt i be blowing white smoke everywhere?

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
IJ. said:
Sure it's not just one of the hoses at the back of the head leaking?

BHG's rarely spew coolant on the road.....

then wtf is going on with my car.. Why do I have so much black gunk in my coolant resivior.. Isnt that oil? and the gunk on the bottom of my rad cap Ive flushed the cooling system like 4 times.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
cjsupra90 said:
dont drive it, fix it!

Once again, he is right on.

casing said:
Im getting Oil in my coolant. not the other way around.

Stop and think about what you are saying. Put a new thermostat in also. Just because you don't show over heating on the temp gauge, doesn't mean it isn't happening. You are not allowing the coolant to absorb the heat, so the coolant does not heat up. But I promise you, the block and head are aborbing the combustion heat.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Nick M said:
Once again, he is right on.

Stop and think about what you are saying. Put a new thermostat in also. Just because you don't show over heating on the temp gauge, doesn't mean it isn't happening. You are not allowing the coolant to absorb the heat, so the coolant does not heat up. But I promise you, the block and head are aborbing the combustion heat.

I have a thermostat right beside me. If its not a BHG then what the hell is this mystery black gunk in my coolant?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
i must have drove my car 10 thousand miles on a BHG without it over heating and every now and then pushing her to 6k RPM. good luck and i hope you find out what the hell is wrong with your car.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Nick M said:
Well I can't see the gunk. Shine the flash light on it.

My guess, old age contamination.

Id flush the coolant and for about a day it would be clean. Next day my res is filled with black gunk.. plus even the little rubber peice that sits in my resivior is swollen from sitting in oil