No start situation - GE to GTE swap

highmilehatch

Oct 22, 2005
PA
www.street-solutions.com
'87 N/A to JDM 7MGTE swap. The car was delivered to me with the engine/drivetrain bolted in, nothing else. Acquired a 8601-8808 ECU and wiring harness and the rest of the parts necessary for the conversion. Unfortunately upon draining the oil pan, which I neglected to do from the beginning, I found a nice mixture of coolant and oil. Major sign of BHG obviously. Also did compression test, but as I type this I realize the test was done without holding the TB open. The results on a cold motor were:

1. 120
2. 130
3. 30
4. 150
5. 120
6. 60

I decide to see if it will start, but it will only crank.

Here is everything I have done/checked:

-set to TDC/aligned with cam gears
-brand new plugs and wires
-1/4 tank of gas
-no codes
-checked for spark on no. 6 cylinder so far and ok, haven't checked the rest..
-all wiring connections and grounds good
-all vacuum lines are connected
-motor spins by hand ok
-injector plugs correct
-swapped with another MAFS
-removed CPS, aligned, reinstalled
-checked EFI fuse

Here are some things I have yet to check:

-try new gas
-remove oil cap, make sure cams are spinning when cranking
-wiggle CPS wires

I checked fuel pressure via the TSRM, connected FP and +B, and felt pressure in return line. Even loosened cold start injector banjo bolt and it's getting fuel there.
The strange thing is, after all of the attempted starts, the plugs aren't loading up on fuel, which I don't understand. Putting the bad compression numbers aside, the plugs should still be getting wet if there is pressure in the return hose, unless the injectors are not firing for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
is it turning over? double check timing, check timing belt. check cam timing. check all electrical connections.

that motor seems shot....i have a nice one with a fresh rebuild for sale...

highmilehatch

Oct 22, 2005
PA
www.street-solutions.com
It finally started. Just needed to keep the accelerator pressed. The idle is surging badly. Could not find a vacuum leak anywhere. Timing is "around" where it needs to be. Tested TPS and ISC and they are within spec. Disconnected TPS and the surging stopped, but idle high. Still no codes. Disconnected ISC and nothing changed, although I'm not sure if anything is supposed to. Topped off with coolant, let it get to operating temp. Coolant will gush out in sync with surging, but no sign of obvious coolant/oil mixture. Engine does not overheat. Did another compression test:

1. 140
2. 150
3. 150
4. 150
5. 150
6. 145

I still need to test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. Have not done a leak down, and I'm going to drain the oil to see what kind of mixture I get. Does anyone know if these engines will still give good compression numbers if the headgasket is blown?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Welcome to SM, Jon! Glad to see you posting—although under less than perfect circumstances.

highmilehatch said:
… The results on a cold motor were:

1. 120
2. 130
3. 30
4. 150
5. 120
6. 60

Did another compression test:

1. 140
2. 150
3. 150
4. 150
5. 150
6. 145…
Is there really that much of a difference with the throttle closed and then open?! Even if it were cold before and warm after?! I just thought that was weird.

highmilehatch said:
...Does anyone know if these engines will still give good compression numbers if the headgasket is blown?
I did a compression test on a BHG motor and got OK numbers that were within specs.
I also did a leak down test as well, and also got OK numbers.
My BHG was the cylinder to water jacket type.

There are different kinds of BHG's. If you have a coolant to water jacket leak (what you have most likely), that may or possibly may not have any effect on the cylinders pressure. It is when you have a cylinder to water jacket leak that (theoretically--according to some) you will detect it with a leak down test or a compression test.
I have already posted my thoughts on that in my write-up on BHG's.
I don't know if you already seen it, but here it is:
http://supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251

I hope the coolant in the oil did not damage anything.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
BHGs can be intermittant leaks. sometimes it will leak, others it wont. i suspect that doing a compression test on a cold motor with a BHG of that type, would still give you acceptable readings.

highmilehatch

Oct 22, 2005
PA
www.street-solutions.com
All things considered, I keep going back to the fact that the original mixture that I drained from the engine was an obvious coolant/oil mixture. I just need to accept the fact that the heads going to come off. Oh well. Thanks for the tips guys.