no spark, no fuel injector and no CEL.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
before i get reemed i did do a few searches on SM, SF and Google. founds some help but nothing specific like my issue with injectors, coils and CEL.

so a quick little background story on the car and swap.

it's an 89 mk3 7mgte auto that was converted to 5spd (w58 not sure why they chose that but whatever) the car belongs to a local and i'm doing the 1jz swap for him.

swap specs:
1jz (jzz30/soarer)
r154
JZZ30 harness, ecu and AEM FIC piggy back (came off my running jz swap so it was PNP)
60-1 precision turbo
440cc injectors
aeromotive FPR (60psi, high i know and i will adjust it. lol)

issue:
finally got fuel and harness hooked up, grounds hooked up (harness to manifold, head to firewall, trans to chassis, block to negative battery terminal and negative terminal to chassis again.) i go to crank and the motor turns over but doesn't start. you can tell no combustion is taking place. i know theres fuel going through the rail because the AFPR is showing me. i have spray some starting fluid down the TB and nothing not even a hiccup. i'm getting no spark. hooked a diode tester and confirmed no injector pulse or firing. while cranking i notices no CEL comes on at all.

(reminder, this harness and ECU were all working just fine on my car. i took them off because i'm going Proefi Full standalone)

things i've checked:
the Ignitor and Map sensor (both off my running car)
ground at the manifold (as i understand the grounds are vital for injectors plus ECU gets it's grounds here i believe)

any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The EFI fuse and Main relay good? What about the crank angle sensor (been awhile, but assuming the 1JZ has one)?

I would also think that the ECU may be bad. That's what happened to us w/a 2JZ-GE ECU once. See if you can borrow a known-good one to test.

Last edited:

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Yeah, I would check main fuse and relay. Also, cam and crank sensors. Make sure both cam sensors are plugged in. Also I would make sure that there are no issues with your piggyback wiring as sometimes during transport those can come undone... Not saying that there is a problem with the way you wired them but just that it happens all the time.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
kanji1jz;1828437 said:
Yeah, I would check main fuse and relay. Also, cam and crank sensors. Make sure both cam sensors are plugged in. Also I would make sure that there are no issues with your piggyback wiring as sometimes during transport those can come undone... Not saying that there is a problem with the way you wired them but just that it happens all the time.

forgot to mention fuse and relays are fine. i checked for loose wires on the piggy back cause i had an issue previous somewhat similar (it would run but only on like 4 cylinders). i even put the jumper harness to by pass the piggy back.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I can't remember from my swap (went Megasquirt from the start), but the fuel pump wiring is separate from the ECU, correct? If so, double-check if the ignition +12V is getting to the ECU (essentially tells it to "turn everything on").

If you have no injectors firing, no spark and no CEL, it seems to be a main power feed issue to the ECU.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
I vote for the +5V or Ground to all the RPM- sensors are missing.
The +5V comes from the ECU (converts 12v to 5v internally).... Fuelpressure at the fuel-rail indicates no FuelPump-issues.... and the Fuelpump+Realy is activated by the ECU... By stating that, the ECU probably has it's 12V and Ground, and you are dealing with a missing +5V or Ground somewhere.... You should also check for Fault-codes. that will give you a good direction on where the problem is....(missing signals from various sensors or so)

The ECU also gets a "start" signal from the Ignition-key... (just plain 12v from pos 3 out of 4 on the keylock)

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
fixed it!!! efi relay apparently went bad during the swap which is odd. i put my relay on his and it started right up and the CEL turned on like normal. thanks everyone for the help!