No spark head rebuild

As the title states, I recently rebuilt my head for my 7m. I had it running but the timing kept jumping off at 1st and the car kept running really rough. I try to drive it home, which is less than a mile from the shop, but the car died at a red light about 1/2 a mile down the road and will not start back up. I immediately suspect that my cps or timing was off again. However, when i checked, it was all ok. I check my injectors as well and found out that the 1st and 2nd injector clips were switched around.(a friend from auto mech class was helping out and got them mixed up) I get the clips straightened out and try to start the car. It backfires once and starts up, however, after i changed spark plugs, which were fouled. It did not start anymore. It cranks, but does not start at all.

Me and my other friend suspect there's no spark and brought the timing light out, just to see if there are any sparks at all. Well, let's just say the light did not even slightly flicker haha. I then went ahead and changed the plug wires as well. But still, no luck with starting, and still no spark. I suspect either the coils, igniter, or a fuse is messed up. Anyone here have any advice or suggestions on which i should check out. You're help is deeply appreciated.

-Glenn

zigspeed10

Apr 7, 2007
ohio
Just double check all plug connectors and make sure you got all of your grounds back on. No spark sounds like a ground missing or loose plug connection.

spoolin87

Apr 23, 2008
Washington
Is your coil pack grounded. Same think happened to me and sure enough had a bad ground wire. Put new wire from coil pack bracket to a ground and it fired right up...

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i had to do the same thing. the little wire from the coil pack is grounded to bracket its sitting on, then to valve covers. the ring connector and insulation on the wire was no good either. i dont see this as a good ground. i just ran it to known ground source

Just rechecked all the wires, grounds, and coils. All seem to be fine, but it's still not starting. It started for a minute but was at like 250 rpm and would not respond to throttle changes. I was checking the plug that connects to the main coil pickup wire and only one of the pins have 12.5v...all the other ones are at 0. Is this normal, cuz I'm still not getting a spark.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Each coil pack should have 12 volts to it with the key on. And fwiw a missing ground on the bracket will not prevent the engine from starting. It's there for other reasons and serves no purpose in generating spark.

Nope...I'm gonna be checking my spark with a real spark tester later today. If it's tornado free outside. No codes still, and the tach moves a bit when i try cranking it so i don't think it's the cps. The coils checked out fine too as far as the voltages.

*Just replaced all the spark plugs and wires btw. Took the new ones out again after not starting and they smelled like gas.*