No RPM, No Oil Pressure. No headlights?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Hey guys, I just finally finished my 7M-GTE/R154 swap into my 88. It was originally non-turbo/auto.

My problem is this:
I am building no oil pressure (on factory gauge) and my RPMS are not reading on the tachometer.

I am using the factory gauge cluster that was originally in the car, with the exception of the tach which I pulled from a turbo's cluster.

Edit: All gauges worked before the swap. The voltage gauge currently is working.

The harness in the car is a gray plug that was repinned for an 87-88 car by Sound Performance in Bensenville, IL. I have one plug that does fit into my harness (where the engine and main body harnesses meet).

The engine cranks strong. This is the first cranking that I am doing with the engine so that I can build oil pressure.

Another problem I am having is that my headlights will not turn on.

For all of the above: I have verified my work: all connections are firm. No fuses blown. All ground connections secured.

Can anyone please help?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
takes 2 seconds, give or take to build pressure..

make sure your gauge isn't fried, as for the tach, it is plug and play, but just verify everything's pushed in as tight as possible as the old clips sometimes don't hold..

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I have a couple of plugs that don't fit underneath my dash near my ECU, and am not sure what they are used for...

p1564711_1.jpg

p1564711_2.jpg

p1564711_3.jpg

p1564711_4.jpg

p1564711_5.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
In the 3rd pic those 2 white plugs dont go together or what?

I just wired in a 89 harness into a 87 and i got all plugs to match, but wont have be able to start the car till friday or sat.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
No, the female side has 3_2_3, the male has 3_2_2

The wiring harness is 90+ turbo manual and the dash/body harness is 88 non turbo auto.

The harness worked in my buddy's 87 turbo manual that the harness was adapted for...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya the one i did was a 89-90 turbo harness into a 87 turbo body.

Id start here:
http://92tealsupra.webs.com/88turbomtwiring.htm
http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50

And verify all the wiring.

I had to go to the junkyards and clip some connectors to make it work since i started with a junk pre89 harness that i had and my friends 89-90 harness that he had which is in his car now.
Looked at what he had under the dash and what i had on the harness's and just made sure i had enough to plug in as there are the differences between the years like the hac sensor which is in the 89+ ecu and outside on pre89.

Edit: Iirc i ended up with like 3 wires which i have nfi where they go or any link as to where they go but im pretty sure friday we will be at the point to fire the car and will know then if what i wired up if in fact worked lol.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
From that first link, it looks like the gray plug I have hanging about is my M1 plug, which has all of the wires I need... I just am not sure where they plug into on the body side...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I should have taken some pics when i did it.

Ok. I see 4 connectors 3 white and 1 gray. Im guessing the top one is for the abs ecu? Can you take some pics of the wires on the remaining connectors?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Sure thing, I'll do that first thing when I wake up tomorrow.

I don't have ABS, so I shouldn't need to worry about that one I'm guessing

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Look by your ecu...there is probably a plug m1 that isn't connected....had the same problem! It will have about 10 wires in it.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

If you need some harness connectors let me know...I have a scrap harness I can cut some pigtails for ya.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If I'm right, the fat gray plug in picture 5 is my M1 plug, based on size and number of pins. There are only 5 pins of ten in mine though

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
In the fifth pic the grey connector in your hand is the reason your tach and oil psi isn't working!

In my 90 turbo I had this issue because I used an unknown year grey plug auto harness for my 5 spd....the auto harness had a much bigger plug and wouldn't fit into the female side....had to cut the connector from my old harness and splice it in!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
See my problem is the opposite. The gray plug is too big for the female connector. And the female connector has 12 pins instead of 10. I'm not sure where the female plug for M1 is lol

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Thanks for the offer. I have my 88 n/a auto harness and a 90+ turbo auto harness that I can hack up if I really need to.

How do I go about depinning these connectors? I may just go that route

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
It's up there somewhere...just look at the wire colors and find a plug with the same color wires:)

I may have another m1 connector I can cut off another harness and send to ya

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

The harness plug comes appart somehow...I tried to do it but gave up and just cut n soldered:-(

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Yeah. I bought a yellow plug harness used. My buddy has an 87 that was using this gray plug harness and ecu. He bought a yellow plug AEM. I traded him. This gray plug harness has less than 10k miles on it.

It was repinned to be used in an 87 body by a guy that used to work at Sound Performance.

My problem lies with the M1 plug. The manual and auto use different size plugs. If I get my 88 M1 plug and depin that, then depin the 89+ plug, then repin the 88 plug with the 89+ wiring, I should be good lol

I just need to know which wires go where on the 87, and I don't have an 87 EWD

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For the m1 plug they should be all the same color wires iirc.

To depin if you look down at the pins on the connector you will see a little tab, If you use a pick and pry the little tab to the side and pull on the wire it will come out.

Even if you get the pins out its no use on the newer connector as the pics are different between 88 and 89. I encountered that problem when i wired up the harness and ended up just having to cut and solder.

Iirc the manual m1 plugs are the same on the early gray plug and yellow plugs too.

Is the white plug from the body and the gray plug from the harness?