No power and Starter won't crank

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Okay when I jump my car with another battery I let my battery charge but as soon as I unhook the other battery everything goes completely dead does not even try, I was not having any problems with my battery prior to this so I really don't think it's a dead cell.

Another problem when I do jump it the starter won't even attempt to turn, I have had starters go out on me and they give you warnings, it struggles and you pretty much know when it's dieing.....I just find these couple things odd wanted to see if anyone had any similar problems.

I have checked the fuses all were good, I checked for a bad ground....My terminals look fine. I have ran over all the basics most people over look. I'm just kinda puzzled by it because before this it ran strong and I have never had a problem with it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Starters do just die. Or freeze in colder temps.

Get a multi meter. Make sure you have 12.5v at least at the battery then make sure you you have power to the fuses.

Do any of the lights work without the jump?

Leave the jumping part out of the picture in order to find the problem. You will just confuse your self. Also make sure the battery is good and not just a guess.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You have a power issue. The wire that goes from the battery to the fusebox which is usually blue or white can sometimes look like its connected but really not be and just the insulation is connected.

little_bit_ugly

Oct 18, 2010
Edmonton
If after disconnecting the jump source everything goes dead it sounds definatley like a toast battery, if everything is dead while booster source is connected then you have a connection problem at the fuse box in the engine bay. But as you have described it sounds to me like your battery is done for.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
hvyman;1713734 said:
You have a power issue. The wire that goes from the battery to the fusebox which is usually blue or white can sometimes look like its connected but really not be and just the insulation is connected.

+1 million on this, my car sat for 2 weeks trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any power to the fuse box. I wiggled the wire from the box to the battery, and all the sudden my wind shield wipers came on, I was like sweet. And the largest smile yet proceeded from that.

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Check battery, wiring and alternator. I would guess alternator cause it would run off the battery until the battery finally goes dead then when you jump it, it will run until you remove jumper power since the alternator isn't putting out any power and the battery is dead car won"t run. That would be my starting point, but I am no expert...

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Okay couple things were bad.....Battery putting out 3 volts lol dead and the wire from the battery to the fuse box had a bad connection......All is well now!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Put your multimeter on the alternator stud when you have it jumped and running. Make sure the car jumping is shut off for the test.