no oil pressure on fresh rebuild.....!UPDATED...AGAIN...with pics!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
t3d - On my fresh rebuild, I had to spin mine for almost a minute (felt like forever) before the oil pressure gauge would show anything. And for a piece of mind, I also pulled one of the cam covers just to double check there was a ton of oil up there.

noa324

booster
Dec 19, 2008
miami
finished my rebuild couple of weeks ago. When we were priming the motor couldnt get any oil pressure. It drove us crazy but we pulled the motor quick and the motor was leaking oil str8 out the back! When we set the motor down it leaked out the front.. When we looked at a motor that was taking apart we saw the problem..When the machine shop took apart the motor they didnt put back a plug on both sides of the motor (front & rear). They are oil passages and the if they are not on u get no oil pressure at all... We put them on and instantly we had oil pressure NOT saying this is your problem ,but just somthing that had happined to me hope it doesnt happen to any body else good luck with your car

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Oil pressure yet? just after sitting for more than a month it takes like a full minute and a half of cranking to see pressure on mine. Thats why you used a ton of assembly lube in the build process for that latency in oil pressure.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
hmmmm...well, i have bowling tonight, so i'll probably be cranking it up tomorrow to check for pressure. i went to town on my motor with assembly lube so i don't think that should be a problem. thanks for all the input guys...otherwise this would of drove me crazy!

-t3d

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
ok, so i was just out there crankin her. i cranked for about a minute and then let it cool and then did it again. STILL NOTHING. i'm not sure if the gauge is working, so i pulled the oil line to the turbo to check and still got shit. my battery was startin to run out of juice, so i stopped. the cables and cable ends were quite hot. i'm gonna go buy an oil pressure gauge to hook up to see if i can get any kind of reading, but i'm starting to worry again :cry:

HELPZ!

-t3d

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IJ.;1256388 said:
No plugs/TB open there's little to no load on the starter it would probably spin the engine for 5 minutes without getting hot :) (a spare charged battery and leads is a good idea so voltage doesn't drop)

You'll hear some load as the Oil system fills, soon as you see pressure refit the plugs and start it.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I don't want to sound like a total douche bag/jerk but it does have oil in the pan right??

And you got rid of the stock filter housing, and went full-flow, thermostatically controlled right? And I would pull the plugs like IJ said, and dont crank on a dead battery, think of how hot those wires were, its only soldner in your starter, It will melt!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
it took my car 3 - 4 times of coutning to 15 to get any sort of pressure, but once you have a little pressure, it jumps pretty quick and is VERY obvious once you have that pressure... and your gonna wanna charge your battery, but im sure you already thought of that.

if you didnt fill the filters when you went full flow then it will take a while to fill those up and run all the way through.

Timmer

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Double check the oil lines going to your relocation kit, as the filter will not allow oil to flow through backwards. Good luck!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
yea i'm gonna have to get a spare battery and charge this one. i didn't pull the plugs, but i did have the TB open. i have the transdapt oil filter relocation kit, which i don't think is thermostatic. and i'm pretty sure i got the lines right. i was very careful, but i'll be sure to double check. i'm gonna try this again on saturday. i'm gonna charge the battery tomorrow at work and have a spare for when i crank it again. i'll also pull the plugs and have an oil pressure gauge hooked up. i really hope this works. idk what i'm gonna do if something really bad happens. well, i do, but i just don't want to think about it. i'll be updating this again on saturday and let you guys know what happens.

thanks again

-t3d

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
me too. trust me IJ i want to do everything right. time is really a factor for me. i only have the weekends. i don't have alot of patience but i try to when it comes to this car, mostly cause i haven't driven this thing in over a year =0(. everything that i said i'm going to do on saturday, is what i'm going to do. everything you told me to do, i will do and see how that goes. don't be disappointed dammit...i'm still young and learning =0)

-t3d

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
following-instructions-for-dummies.png

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
IJ.;1258348 said:
Just disappointed

You can be mad as hell, pissed off, and plain out F***ing enraged, but.......

I've only been a Supra owner/part of this forum for a short while. But I've learned this..
"Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it."

EDIT: If you got no flow out of the turbo feed line at all, I'm sure you got no presure, pull a valve cover to prove. Realistically there is very few things it could be, no oil, relief valve stuck open(you shimmed it yourself right?), oil pump outlet not hook up?, or some serious flow loss(Internal or external) or oil lines maybe hooked up wrong, not sure of your setup.
There's a point where assemby lube well no longer provide(Intial Start-up)lubrication. So know when to throw in the towel.

Last edited:

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
How long will the assembly lube take to wear down on starts like these?

How long does it take for oil to completely drain from the journals? Wouldnt each little attempt pump the oil up further into the motor and get you closer to achieving pressure? Jebus was saying his had it happened after a month of sitting, so as long as you dont spread it out over the course of a month, ach attemp shoudl get you closer right?

Have ya pulled the plugs yet and canked on it anymore?