No oil feeding into turbo

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Just as the title states, I am getting no oil coming into my turbo or out of the factory oil sending unit hole. I unplugged both and left the ports open and while cranking, nothing.... Now when I check all my other lines (in my oil cooler system) they are full and even my oil filter is full of oil so something does not seam right :(

Need some advice and help guys

Fresh new motor too and we primed the system and still no luck.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You need to do quite a bit of cranking to get oil pressure in the turbo lines. It seems like the owners manual says 30 seconds.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
You know I have not tried a mechanical gauge yet, I think I have one sitting somewhere in the garage or in my monte carlo........ I will give that a shot and see if POSSIBLY my gauge took a shit (it was working perfectly fine before)

I just ordered some aeroquip hose which is far more flexible then my braided hose for my oil cooler so I will see if then that makes a difference and if my hoses were not set in line correctly.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Tried a little experiment with running air through my system. Here's what I did

I unplugged the my feed line from my turbo and ran compressed air into that. Air would come out of my turbo and if I plugged that and removed my dipstick air would come out of the dipstick. Now the 2 hex plugs that go on either side of the block, one in the rear the other under the timing cover, would those cause a type of blockage in the system? I thought they were mainly for keeping oil from coming out of the block it self.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
not that this is helpfull to you but my fresh build did the exact same thing still no idea why pulled the motor its at the shop being slowly dissasembled and inspected only thing he has seen so far is the thinks the oil pump relive valve was sticking but also at the same time doesn't believe that to be the problem.

I had the motor primed with an external pump ect but couldn't make it on its own was losing pressure some were fast. they even pressurised the crank case to try force oil up and still nothing Ill let you know if I find out anything first otherwise will be watching

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks man, yeah I think I may have found the problem and I'll keep yall posted on my "experiment" with my GE block sitting in the garage.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Ok so what I have concluded form experimenting and asking of a knowledgeable supra friend that the front oil galley plug must be blocking the oil coming into the motor from the purge hole which is in line with the threads. Now when I installed my plugs I used teflon tape which I think must be blocking that opening.

Does this sound right? Looking for some veteran 7m builders advice on this matter. Mytmk3, you might want to look into that one for you also.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
oldsking;1607578 said:
Ok so what I have concluded form experimenting and asking of a knowledgeable supra friend that the front oil galley plug must be blocking the oil coming into the motor from the purge hole which is in line with the threads. Now when I installed my plugs I used teflon tape which I think must be blocking that opening.

Does this sound right? Looking for some veteran 7m builders advice on this matter. Mytmk3, you might want to look into that one for you also.

There's no way the Front/Rear plugs can block the main gallery, you DID install the front plug didn't you?
(got caught out by this once)

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Haha yeah I did install the front plugs.. Well it's weird, if I blow air into my turbo feed line that air rushes right back out. Now in my GE is did not rush out, if pressured in the engine and just a bit came out but not like on my gte. Something has to be blocked with that oil not coming up.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Question, I know I am getting oil pumping in my motor up top to my head and defiantly in my oil cooler system. Where on the block could I use as an alternate feed source?

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
IJ.;1608243 said:
Remote Filter plumbed backwards?
(there's a one way valve in most filters)

funny you mention this just went to the garage I think mine actually is. Is the flow ment to be outer hole out inner hole return? (i dnt have a thermostat but its ment to be filter then cooler) sorry to thread jack

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
What I was told because i think mine is wrong, is that it should be outer (engine block) to outer (relocated filter) then inner from your filter to the cooler then cooler back to the inner engine block

IJ, what you are saying is that the filter is a valve built into the filter and if it's plumbed backwards the oil will not pump out at the proper pressure?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying ;)

Filter can only flow one way it's to prevent it draining out and starving the engine on a restart, also doubles as a bypass for when the filter is blocked.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
IJ.;1608346 said:
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying ;)

Filter can only flow one way it's to prevent it draining out and starving the engine on a restart, also doubles as a bypass for when the filter is blocked.

Is this with all filters(mine was a fram ) trying to get correct info before I confront the shop that installed it then told me my motors bung pulled it striped it and told me I can't reuse my mhg

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Well I cant believe its such a simple thing! Cars in storage right now but once I get it back to the house Im going to swap hoses and if it works (which I certainly hope it does) im going to hit myself with a torque wrench lol

mytk3, you should know that a shop would not really stand by with doing the right thing but instead dismantle a motor and make you pay for it.. I hope its not to late for you to call them

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mytmk3;1608365 said:
Is this with all filters(mine was a fram ) trying to get correct info before I confront the shop that installed it then told me my motors bung pulled it striped it and told me I can't reuse my mhg
Vast majority of filters work this way these days.

oldsking;1608398 said:
Well I cant believe its such a simple thing! Cars in storage right now but once I get it back to the house Im going to swap hoses and if it works (which I certainly hope it does) im going to hit myself with a torque wrench lol

mytk3, you should know that a shop would not really stand by with doing the right thing but instead dismantle a motor and make you pay for it.. I hope its not to late for you to call them
It's usually the simple things that trip people up, have seen quite a few engines ruined by this issue over the years.. :(