no nuts on lower motor mounts? WTF

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Yesterday i was pulling my motor for a 5 speed swap and there were no nuts on the bottom part of the motor mounts.

The motor mounts were bolted to the motor but thats it. There must be enough weight to just hold a stock motor in place. or maybe the torque strut? There has to be some reason this didn't cause some huge problems or at least some noise.

The threads on the mount are not damaged, it does not look like there was any movement between the mount and the frame.

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
unless you drove it around like a granny the torque would have twisted it out I would say.. thats very strange. Have you been sleepwalking/wrenching in the garage lately?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
i went through the paperwork from the previous owners and found that this motor was put in in 04, so its been that way for five years.

i am usually pretty easy on my car, but i also love to get on the boost and it has seen WOT from all speeds. without a klunk, rattle, jerking or anything.

maybe the angle of the motor mounts and the weight of the engine just held it in place.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Its far more likely they were not torqued down properly in the past and over time loosened up and eventualy fell off. I had one I forgot to torque down and it came loose in ~3k. Found it loose durring an oil change.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, it's not that far out. I drove for a year or more with both motor mounts snapped - and I've pulled *many* 89+ engines and had the bottom half of both motor mounts fall off because they were snapped.

Leaving the nuts off would prevent them from outright breaking, I guess. :D

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
GrimJack;1266297 said:
Actually, it's not that far out. I drove for a year or more with both motor mounts snapped - and I've pulled *many* 89+ engines and had the bottom half of both motor mounts fall off because they were snapped.

Leaving the nuts off would prevent them from outright breaking, I guess. :D

I've pulled 2 89+'s and one pre-89 and had half the mount stay in the car with no nut on it. lol

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
slidebabyslide;1266526 said:
haha, this happen to me , but not 3 x's lol

Yup, one 2JZ (same style as 89+), one 91 7M-GTE, and one 87 7M-GE. In the next week or so I'll be pulling the GE out of my 86.5. I'm betting it happens again. lol

Our engines actually don't shake and move around all that much, and the hood is close enough to the top of the engine that I'm pretty sure it would at least not fly off the mounts. Plus you've still got the tranny mount and other small things holding it in the same general area (wiring, hoses) :D