No IDLE

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
A bit over two months ago I had a friend of mine drop me off at the airport with my supra. I got back yesterday and found out my supra died while he was getting home from the aiport. He told me when he got off the highway the car just died. Everytime he crancked it started, then it would die right after. He towed it home.

So I got back from my Eurotrip to find out my supra is a poopra. I got it to start and if I keep it over 2500RPM it runs well. I took it on the highway for about 100KM and above 2500RPM I cant tell a difference, but as soon as I drop below it dies.

The check engine light does not come on so I dont think I will get any codes.

Where should I start the troubleshooting.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Still check your codes just for fun ;) then look for a boost leak, Im guessing pretty big one. Since your under the hood double check your timing marks also, making sure it is still correct.

After that report back to us and how YOU tested for leaks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
92nsx;1398091 said:
Still check your codes just for fun ;) then look for a boost leak, Im guessing pretty big one. Since your under the hood double check your timing marks also, making sure it is still correct.

After that report back to us and how YOU tested for leaks

Kinda hard to do on a NA :biglaugh:

He does need to check codes...most do not cause the CEL to come on.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
After checking for codes, I would first check the AFM. Starting but not running is the classic symptom. The second thing to check is the TPS. The check engine light would not turn on for either of these problems.

Asterix

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
that happened to me. check your plastic intake pipes for holes after the MAF. I melted a huge hole in my pipe and that kept my car from idling

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
I had a bit of time last night to take a look. I just moved so things are a bit harder for me to troubleshoot since most of my tools are in a self storage 100KM away.

Here is what I have:

I only get a code 11.

The ISC makes three distinctive clicks. Should I test it further?

I have a spare TPS on hand. I plugged it in, but I did not install it. Considering the throttle is not applied the spare TPS plugged in but not installed should send the proper signal for IDLE so this should rule it out.

I checked my vacuum hoses and I could not find any leak but I wont rule out a vacuum leak yet. I will do a propane torch test soon.

There is something I noticed. On first crank the car starts for a second then dies. On further attempts it fails to start at all without a bit of acceleration. If I wait about 10 minutes it will start again without acceleration for a second.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 11 is a power interruption to the ECU...it masks all other codes when it is present and can terminate engine operation. You need to make fixing this the top priority. I would start by checking the ECU grounds located on the intake manifold.

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
Right... problem found. The exhaust manifold melted a hole in the airbox. Now can I just replace the airbox with a pipe or do I need to find one?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
The airbox or the accordion hose? If it's the hose then yes, you can just replace it with a pipe. However, you will lose the resonator which has proven benefits. How did your exhaust pipe melt a hole in your intake?