no horn, Im stumped

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Alright, I bought the car and the horn never worked, it wasnt an issue when I was buying my inspection stickers but now my contact has actually passed(sad story) so now I have to pass legit. I traced everything down to the physical horn button itself, I pulled the steering wheel cover and cruise control buttons to find a three pin blue connector(button side) to a four pin black connector(steering column side).... I took the button apart and I have to be missing a ground or loop back to that four pin column connector... I need help bad, I already got a ticket for it and I cant get it dismissed if I cant pass. Does anyone have a picture or has any suggestions, Im stumped and have a pretty good Idea the previous owner has tampered with it. Thanks.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
hazards work(means the haz/horn fuse works), last night I had an idea to pull the steering wheel on the 88 roller chassis to see what was inside it, I wound up stripping the screws that hold the horn button to the wheel (I was pissed), I finally got my roomate to hold a flashlight and I took the pin out of the male connector on the '87(blue w/ red stripe) and checked continuity from the relay(pin 3) back to the black female connector to the wheel(to find out which pin was for the horn). Jabbed it in to the correct pin, pressed the horn, success! Tomorrow I will go for inspection, wish me luck and hopefully they dont go looking for a catalytic converter.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
maybe its a differenty year model steering wheel??? Just still dont get why the connectors are completely different. If anyone is computer savy, the one on the horn button side looks like the old power connectors for the floppy drives except only has three pins, the one on the column side looks like a wide four pin, and both are notched where they will not connect to each other. It would be nice to have my cruise control working, but no biggie.