No flow in turbo coolant hose

paulmicin

Apr 7, 2008
Norwalk, Ca
hey guys, so went to replace my coolant feed line for my turbo ( the rubber part) because it was hard and brittle, so i installed a clear hose. as it was warming up and got to full operating temp i noticed no coolant flowing through. At this point i turned the car off and removed the hose, i blew through it and there was a great deal off resistance. i could not blow through it, so i went to my air compressor, again to no avail and my compressor's putting out, approx. 90 psi. so any reason why it would be doing that? by the way its a ct26, 57 trim.
p1452026_1.jpg

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Pumping your cooling system with compressed air is a great way to blow up your rad and heater core....don't do that!

You're gonna have to trace the lines and run a coat hanger threw it to unblock it all....

Or get some acid based coolant flush (jdub can point you in the right direction)

paulmicin

Apr 7, 2008
Norwalk, Ca
gaboonviper85;1452036 said:
Pumping your cooling system with compressed air is a great way to blow up your rad and heater core....don't do that!

You're gonna have to trace the lines and run a coat hanger threw it to unblock it all....

Or get some acid based coolant flush (jdub can point you in the right direction)

is it supposed to be free flowing enough to where i can blow through it with my mouth, because now i can not do that at all.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
paulmicin;1452037 said:
is it supposed to be free flowing enough to where i can blow through it with my mouth, because now i can not do that at all.

So you hook a 90psi air hose to it?! Not smart my friend...

I'm almost 100% sure you have your turbo coolant lines set wrong....they plumb into the rear timing cover not near the back of the block.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You can unbolt the coolant union on the turbo and make sure its not blocked up in there, then run some stiff wire through the metal hard lines and make sure those are clear as well. BTW that is not the type of hose you want to be using in the cooling system, especially on the turbo.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Turbo coolant drain:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

turbo coolant feed:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

like this:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I went down to the garage at 3:30am to take these pics...hope it helps...it's a very simple system and will be stupid easy to clear any clogs!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Damn I'm bored tonight lol

your problem is probably located in one or all these spots:
1. Drain banjo bolt area

sm_photo_missing.jpg

2. Coolant feed

sm_photo_missing.jpg

3. Turbo coolant lines

sm_photo_missing.jpg

paulmicin

Apr 7, 2008
Norwalk, Ca
That's some crazy shit. I mean why would someone put rtv there because i dont think that could have gathered there by itself, right?
IJ.;1453171 said:
Can't see that hose lasting too long that close to the Turbine housing.
You're talking about the braided pcv hose, right?
gaboonviper85;1453165 said:
That will do it!....now pull your thermostat and make sure it doesn't have silicone particles around it also!!!!

Hope my pics helped you!?
Yea, they helped thanks dude.

paulmicin

Apr 7, 2008
Norwalk, Ca
Also, what are the odds there was an damage to the turbo with no cooling and all. i never pushed it hard for more than a few seconds.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
It should be fine....many people run ct-26's without coolant as today's oils don't coke "burn and turn to carbon deposits" like it used to 20-30 years ago.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
gaboonviper85;1452061 said:
I went down to the garage at 3:30am to take these pics...hope it helps...it's a very simple system and will be stupid easy to clear any clogs!
Damn, SM members should pay for service like that! lol
-AM3

suicide

Jan 14, 2007
Barrie , Canada
paulmicin;1453291 said:
That's some crazy shit. I mean why would someone put rtv there because i dont think that could have gathered there by itself, right?

i bet someone siliconed the water pump at some point and used way too much of it.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1453368 said:
Or even more common, silicone the t-stat.

I've never used any silicone on the gaskets and never had leaks...

This!

If anything I'd spray paper gaskets with copper spray if need be but never silicone.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ive had a leaking tstat housing before, just small remnants of coolant drips coming off the bottom, but a very light smear of silicone on the rubber gasket was more than enough to fix that. I have seen people smother it on there, why, i dont know.