no engine hoist so...

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Well, i need to replace one of my motor mounts and i have no engine hoist, i was considering placing the jack on the closest rim of the harmnoic balancer on a wood block(to stop denting) to get it just barely high enough to slide out the motor mount. My motor is professionally built and has never been ran before. Would this hurt anything? An engine hoist is really out of the question anytime soon and this is my only option because putting the jack to the oil pan is just asking for trouble. I'm trying to be up and running by this weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Though you have no hoist, doesn't anyone you know have one? I would really feel better using a lift, hoist, or chain fall. I would consider looking into this before you attempt what you're thinking about doing.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I know you said this is not a possibility, but I really recommend buying a hoist. You can get them new from $150, and I'm sure you can find them cheaper if you buy used. You'll surely find another use for it in the future, and it will make the job a lot easier.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I would place my jack under the bellhousing of the tranny, and lift only enough to get the mount out. I definitely wouldn't put the weight of the motor on something connected to the rotating assembly.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Renting a hoist will be your best bet. Even better if they throw in a load leveler. ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Chain hooked too the engine lift hooks...wraped around a 4x4x6' long piece of wood...one side resting on the top shock mount and have a friend pry up the other side and lift the motor...

MOTOWNMKIII

Dec 5, 2007
Morgantown West Virginia
I made a brace over the engine bay using steel sign poles, hooked up a chain to the hooks on the motor, put the whole car up on jack stands. Then put my jack under the subframe, unbolted it and rolled it right out. had to unhook brakes etc. but it was a snap.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Jack on the pan, it's very strong and will easily lift the front of the car off the ground.

Definately use wood to spread out the load on the pan though...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
either a jack with a 2x4 or 2x6 on the oil pan... or run a 4x4 accrossed the shock towers and use a heavy ratchet strap around it and to the hooks... use the strap to pull the motor up... have done it both ways without issues on many different project cars

good luck
-AcId-